• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Piggyback question re: "image rights" ... but I think I can guess the answer

6 posts in this topic

You buy a coin from a major auctioneer in an online-only auction (no printed catalog). After you win it, can you demand that the auctioneer remove the online digital photo?

You may ask why anyone would care, and I have run into the same scenario twice in recent years. In both cases, a coin was won, cracked out and resubmitted, and upgraded. Therefore, the selling party did not want bidders to discover the previous lower grade online.

Opinions, please?

After spending years on photo forums, the image belongs to the photographer (or company) and you as the coin owner have no legal leg to stand on in terms of requesting the image be taken down.

You can request it, you can DEMAND it, but the owner of the image AND owner of the copyright of the online catalog is under no obligation to do it. The image is in al the printed catalogs as well. Are you going to demand that they go out, recover all the printed copies, and remove the image from those as well?

You buy a coin from a major auctioneer in an online-only auction (no printed catalog). After you win it, can you demand that the auctioneer remove the online digital photo?

You can demand it, however the auctioneer is not required to honor your request.

You can request it, you can DEMAND it, but the owner of the image AND owner of the copyright of the online catalog is under no obligation to do it. The image is in al the printed catalogs as well. Are you going to demand that they go out, recover all the printed copies, and remove the image from those as well?

Mike, as mentioned in my opening post, I'm referring to "online only" auctions. TeleTrade might be a good example.

For those interested, I know of at least two instances where the seller of a coin pre-arranged to have previous images of the same coin in lower graded slabs removed - the auctioneer agreed to it.