• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1875-CC Trade dollar and the realization that I’m won't win any registry awards

13 posts in this topic

I had just finished paying off my last coin and I was going to start saving for another bust type coin when I came across this coin being sold by Carter Numismatics. I liked it a great deal when I first saw it but thought I should sleep on it if I was going to change my mind about which coin I was going to purchase next. I still liked the next morning so I purchased it.

While the coin does have its share of hits it also has the heavy patination/unmessed with look that I adore. I’m not a Trade dollar collector, but from what I have seen, it seems that the vast majority of these coins have been dipped/wiped/cleaned etc. Finding a Trade dollar with even patination on both sides appears to be an anomaly.

I also had some thought that the same amount of money that I paid for this coin would buy me more meat on a generic date Trade dollar. For some reason and I can’t quite put my finger on it, I just have trouble getting jazzed up about generic date type coins. I don’t get excited about the prospect of owning them. So, it seems, my registry set won’t be winning any awards. Oh well, I still think the registry is great portal for viewing some fine collections (just don’t forget that some fine collections are on page 3 lol ).

So what do you guys think about the coin? Like it? Hate it? Let me know what you think. I can take it ;)

Seller's pics which are spot-on...

14468535O.jpg

14468535R.jpg

A nice, honest, collectable coin. Much better, in my opinion, than any silly "registry" award or numbers.

registry smedristry...chocolate is nice.

Say, I do have one question though. What am I seeing in the fields below the olive branch of peace?

registry smedristry...chocolate is nice.

Say, I do have one question though. What am I seeing in the fields below the olive branch of peace?

Some hits

Thanks for everyone's comments. I appreciate it.

I saw that too. At first glance, I thought it was a chop mark, but lightened the image and saw it was just hits....

Nice Original coin.

MM

I love it! The coin is absolutely spectacular in my opinion. If possible, I would buy up all the pieces that looked this wonderful from all the classic series. This appears to be a great coin! :banana: :banana: :banana: