• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWPS: original circulated Old Spanish Trail commemorative half dollar

19 posts in this topic

A big thanks out to Zach for pointing this out to me on ebay. It has a mintage of but 10008 with the 8 minted for assay. It is the second toughest coin in the series next to the Hawaiian. The Hudson Bay commem is third which I still need for my set.

84605.jpg.fa25cf464bc31778d7eca4877a5c4348.jpg

84606.jpg.cc80b0cbd97cc6b951d12747507f6a96.jpg

Someone must have gotten hard up during the latter years of The Great Depression and spent it. That is a great and very unusual find.

That's kind of what I figure. I asked the seller if he knew any history on the piece but he never replied.

It's been tough finding a radiology traveling job this year and money's been tight but I couldn't pass on this piece. It is the only circulated, let alone non blast white Spanish Trail that I've seen in a year and a half of looking.

Thanks for all of the comments.

Someone must have gotten hard up during the latter years of The Great Depression and spent it. That is a great and very unusual find.

That's kind of what I figure. I asked the seller if he knew any history on the piece but he never replied.

It's been tough finding a radiology traveling job this year and money's been tight but I couldn't pass on this piece. It is the only circulated, let alone non blast white Spanish Trail that I've seen in a year and a half of looking.

Thanks for all of the comments.

I was thinking similar thoughts.I was gonna ask how difficult it is to find these in circulated condition. Something like this brings a premium I imagine.

I've never seen one but I want one now!

In Tucson Arizona (where I live), very close to my house is a section of the Old Spanish Trail. It cuts through the lower Rincon Mountains and Saquaro National park.

Cool Coin....

Larry

I had a max bid of $1150 and was pleasantly surprised to win it at $1030. A much better pricetag than the $1900 I splurged on for my Hawaiian.

Really nice pickup there Vic. Very pleasing. I'm sure it looks better in hand as well.

I don't know yet, Sam-dude. I sure hope that I'm not disappointed. I bought a coin once or thrice that looked like a choice, original circulated example in the pics but was sorely disappointed to see it in hand. :sorry:

You are a very courageous numismatist to plunk down that kind of money for a raw coin on-the-bay (unless you know the seller or someone who knows the seller gave the nod) hmmmm…it maybe circulated, albeit it wasn’t a very harsh or long one.

Hopefully, you’ll be able to complete a succession of back flips when you get this in hand.

it maybe circulated, albeit it wasn’t a very harsh or long one.

My interpretation of the pics is c. AU55 but, based upon the toning, it was circulated a long time ago. If for some reason I do not like the coin, I will have 3 days to return it.

What you have going for you is at least the toning has a deeper hue along the margins of the lettering and devices, a good indication that it is natural in nature.