• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of people video-ing their coins and putting on YouTube?

24 posts in this topic

I think they should also make a video of their house number and town, the burglar alarm "off" switch and do a voice-over stating when they will be on an extended vacation. These would make the video much more interesting and also offer the opportunity for a future top-rated video.

The coins most likely aren't worth $2000 each, a generic saint now days cost $1800 max.

Also they had a 1904 liberty, philly date and is the most common of the series.

The sad fact is I bet some of them aren't even real.

They have absolutely no idea what they have, other than it is pretty gold.

Grandpa is rolling over in his grave as they attempted to identify his collection.

Sounds maybe like Grandpa should've left better or at least some descriptions for the collection to help out his heirs. Food for thought for us all?

they were clueless..and I agree that several were not worth $2000 each..saw a generic Maple Leaf, kruegerand, gold panda and a 4-coin mint set, plus several of those Saints looked worn..

curious where they got them ( if they got them legitimately)..they obviously have no clue...you can hear one of them say, "what is moto?' pronounced moe toe..I assume they were reading "Motto"

They won't have them for long.Someone who knows who they are could see this video and spread the word to the wrong person. But I guess posting "recent aquisitions" and such here could be dangerous too?

Which brings me to a worrying occurrence.The Sherrif just came by about an hour ago to inform us and our neighbors house was ransacked at least,and they don't know what all has been stolen.They wanted to know if we've seen anything. This is not an ordinary neighborhood. The place I live is a small cottage on a 7 acre spread with 3 outbuildings. The landlord has a $100,000 motor home and one of those 12 cylinder Mercedes in his "barn".

My door is always locked,but the thief broke a window next door. There isn't a heck of alot of security around here.I have a feeling that's about to change.My landlord was pretty upset about this.

We had a discussion about this the other night at the coin club. Lots of coin collectors do not even want to be in a coin club, because they think that is an open invitation that "I have old money and gold in my house".

I admit I had my own reservations, but I also have learned that the bank safe deposit box is best when out of town. A GOOD alarm system also helps. And I do not mean those $99 Brinks and ADP systems.

IP cameras are also a good investment, and are catching a lot of crooks in the act.

There was an article in a paper the other day about a woman who saw burglars in her home with an internet cam, and when they walked out the door with the goodies, the cops were waiting for them with some nice shiny new bracelets...

MM

Them doing this is very unsafe. All it would take to get there address is to send them a message and when they email you back then you have there IP address.

From there you can track down the address if you know some about computers.

All it would take to get there address is to send them a message and when they email you back then you have there IP address.

The same can be said about posting pictures on here or in a TPG registery, or conductiong buissiness on e-bay.

I would have no problem doing it, but I know my coins are secure.

All it would take to get there address is to send them a message and when they email you back then you have there IP address.

The same can be said about posting pictures on here or in a TPG registery, or conductiong buissiness on e-bay.

I would have no problem doing it, but I know my coins are secure.

This is true but different at the same time. Like you I know my coins are secure however the video show them in a house with 2 people that have no clue what they have. At least they do not have them displays on a shelf or a wall or some other crazy thing like that.

Sorry All I have to say is "Mor0ns" and that is being nice. Clearly they are out of their league and soon to be robbed blind. This is very foolish to do and should never be done. C'est La Vie!

Living in FLA - I would only consider running a video this if a Cat 5 Hurricane was on the way or a zombie apocalypse. I would do it for insurance purposes only if I didn't have time to log all my household belongings or feared loosing my collection in the shuffle to get out of town.

Other than the two above - no way is this a good idea - especially YouTube which makes no sense.

This video was odd to me.

Maybe if there was more personal dialogue about something special.

Let's say a "Dale Friend" video interview and showcase of his CBH collection. A Video with education would be of interest to me.

At least when we showcase our coins on competitive sets here, we've got a certain degree of anonymity and layers of protection. One of the reasons I showcase my coins here is for documentation sake.

But, YouTube is a global pop culture phenomenon. I'm not sure I'd want to show video of the inside of my house with coins in hand, showing off so much gold to a billion potential burglars.

You can post all you want online. As long as you leave no trace of who you actually are, I'd consider it safe. But there are always ways to get around safeguards if they wanted to.

Posting coins like that on YouTube is not safe at all. It tells every crook in the book you have coins and to come rob me.

It is no worse than the insulting images that some sellers use to try and sell a coin on EBay. I never know if the person actually sees these photos as a marketing tool, are willingly deceiving potential buyers or just do not care.