• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1896-O Morgan

5 posts in this topic

I've owned this raw 1896-O Morgan for some time now. I've noticed that over time it is developing a real nice golden/purple toning that looks pretty attractive. Not sure what I should do with this dollar, here are my options as I see them:

1. Leave it alone and let the toning continue.

2. Send it in for grading and slabbing now.

3. Give a light dip, it looks to have some nice luster beneath.

4. Self-slab or 2X2 the coin myself.

It looks to have some minor wear, but has a nice thick original skin and looks very nice in-hand. These jump pretty well in price after about EF-45. As typical with this issue it has a weak strike, but shows some nice details and could justify grading/slabbing. It has a contact/bag mark on the cheek and a couple minor scratches which the scan really brings out. The images I provided are not that good, but I think show the details and skin pretty well. This issue is known for lousy center-striking, but I think it could grade well. Please issue your grade opinions as this will help me determine if it will justify slabbing costs.

84442.jpg.d525a56a8d82fec715788d981ac31cc3.jpg

84443.jpg.3a964ffed6507f3964b492fd5f4a5b33.jpg

It looks like an XF, and I don't think the value justifies spending the money on grading fees and postage to have it graded. Based on the images, I'm not convinced that it isn't re-toning after a dipping, but either way, for now, I would leave it as is.

Leave it alone and wait until you have 5-10 coins to send to NGC.

It looks VF-35 to me but it might be XF-40.

If that's how it looks to you grade-wise (making it worth about $25, maximum), why would you suggest having it graded, at all?