• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FUN 2004

7 posts in this topic

January 12, 2004 4:28 PM

My time at fun was full of looking, walking, looking and walking.

I arrived on Tuesday PM and went right to the Rosen plaza for the auction that Superior was hosting. when I walked in they were just finishing up the half dollars so I could not get a feel for the prices. Next up were the dollars, which was what I wanted to see. The prices were vey strong for all the early stuff. Next up were the Morgans which was where I thought I might be able to buy something. WOW the prices were crazy. I watched as a 1880-o in 64 hammered for $6000. Most coins were bringing 50% and more over sheet. Mike Casper was there driving prices thru the roof. I was not able to get anything that night. I was sitting next to a dealer who must have been talking to his partner on the cell phone when I heard him say "do not quote any prices until I talk to you after this sale". It appears the greysheets are way behind what coins are bringing on the floor.

Next up were the commem's. I was sitting with a friend who wanted to bid on a few of these so I stayed to watch what was happening. Well ,These prices went thru the roof too. He ended up buying an Iowa in 68 a monster for $2900 plus the juice. He was bidding on the three BTW coins in 67, real nice group of coins. He bailed out at $12000 and was not even second place. They hammered around $18000 plus juice. Went to the hotel with numbers jumping around in my head, hopping that there would be some sanity on the bourse floor.

I met up with ArtR almost right away in the lobby waiting for the show to open. He told me he was just sitting with a well known tone dealer and monsterman looking over his stuff before the show. Art had his eye on a Monster piece that this dealer had.Art showed me some of his coins that were going to be on display in a dealers case. Included in these coins was arts icon coin, that way cool peace dollar. Also some of the sexiest Morgans anywhere. I tried to pry away a 1900 with great banded color from Art ,but the best I could do was get a promise that I would get first chance if he sold it. I was very happy to pick off a 1883-o with deep purple banded color that will look very nice in my collection. Art has been very helpful in the past with my collection. When the gates opened I went right over to this dealers table to see his coins. Art was right the piece was a monster. I told my friend to go look at it as he was looking for a great piece for a coustomer. If Art passed he should buy it, Deal done coin was bought.

Next I found a nice 1901-o in 65 that a foreign dealer had it was the only U.S. coin he had. This is a very hard coin to find with color. This is an upgrade as I own a 64 with some cool color. I introduced myself to JB stevens and to Bryan Osborn as I was going to be at a table with BRyan and GSAGUY, but he could not make the show. I ran into Irishmike at Bryans table and sold him a coin from my little dupe pile. Went to Charlies for dinner with Jon Rosenthal(tonelover) Bill Kelley(rainbowroosie) and Greattoning (Mr.D) Great meal

Thursday brought new oppurtunitys and I was ready. Looked ovewr the coins in the Heritage signature auction and set my sites on one coin and one coin only. A 1894-s in PCGS65, this was the coin I wanted to make the trip worth while. When I finished looking at coins I once again walked the floor. My feet were hurting after this day from so much walking. It paid off though as I found a beautiful 1885-s in proof like with great color. I also hooked up with Dennis King a toned dealer from Wi. I had him hold a 1878-7tf in 65 for me. This coin has real nice color and is a great addition to my set.He bought a coin from me, a 1893 with nice golden toning which he promptly sold to some one else. I also found a 1890-cc in 64 from a dealer from Ca. A neat coin that I needed for my toned set.

Friday, Iwent to the peabody for the roosie breakfast. This was my last day there so I walked that floor again with the intention of not missing anything. I was talking with rainbowroosie when he showed me a toned morgan he was selling, A 1882-s in 65. He said it was the NGC plate coin from their web site. I bought this as my final deal of the day. Before I left the show I stopped at the auction room and left my bid for the 1894-s which was going to auction off Saturday morning.

Irishmike I will be sending you a scan of my 1894-s in 63 as the heritage coin is mine. Trip complete. Sorry for the long post but the fingers just wanted to keep goin and there was so much more to tell.

TD

Really great report tonedollars! This, along with the Legend report make for great reads on the show and the current market.

Thanks! cool.gif Hoot

Just one correction, IrishMike was safe at home in -5 temps and snow, nowhere to be seen at FUN. However I did meet TD last year at FUN. Must not have been real memorable meeting for him. wink.gif

Edited to add: I had to post this so as not to make Dena upset as I know she was so looking forward to meeting me.