• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading silver $1's ?

5 posts in this topic

Gentlemen ,

Is there a quick way to estimate approx. grade on the Morgan's by , lets say , ..looking at the high point of fine hair line detail toward the top ? I have found this has helped me but I could be missing something?

Thanks !

Brian ~ :)

There are a lot of dates / mintmarks that are softly struck. So, softness in the hair is not always indicative of wear. I'm not much of a Morgan collector, I only have a few, but I'm sure there's a book out there that describes which dates and mm's are weak. I'm sure that preventing one mistake on a purchase would more than pay for any book.

There are a lot of dates / mintmarks that are softly struck. So, softness in the hair is not always indicative of wear. I'm not much of a Morgan collector, I only have a few, but I'm sure there's a book out there that describes which dates and mm's are weak. I'm sure that preventing one mistake on a purchase would more than pay for any book.

Thanks Coindude !

B~

I would recommend Whitman's Red Book "A Guide Book of Morgan Silver Dollars". It's reasonable in price, gives excellent info on every Morgan issue, and includes a detailed grading scale complete with pictures of averages of all grades. It provides some very interesting background on the coins. A "must have" for all serious Morgan collectors.