• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this 1850 Braided Hair Large Cent Worth Grading

7 posts in this topic

I am totally new to having coins graded, so would appreciate your input on whether or not to have this coin graded. It is a beautiful large cent and I think having it graded would increase it's value to a collector and I think it needs to be protected from the elements. Thanks for your input.

84174.jpg.0a0f72db87e73fe3a04cf1214a65583c.jpg

84175.jpg.769ef2e4a767521d969a07062c49f6f5.jpg

You have a nice looking large cent that appears to have Mint State sharpness. Unfortunately it has been cleaned and probably re-colored. It also appears that someone tried to remove something at the top of the reverse which has left an unnatural looking bright spot in that area. As such the coin would go into either a genuine holder at PCGS or a NCS problem coin holder at NGC.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. (shrug)

I'm definitely going to have to agree with Mr. Jones. At first look I wasn't so concerned with the obverse, but the reverse looks to have been severely scrubbed.

It's an attractive coin for what it is, and what it is, is what others have described. A lightly cleaned coin that has recolored rather nicely. This being said, certification is unquestionably an unnecessary expense for this coin. Save the $30 expense, and buy another nice coin to share with us.

Very sharp looking large cent, but I have to agree with the rest and say it has definitely been cleaned at one time and will wind up in a problem holder.

Welcome to the forum.