• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lincoln for your thoughts

8 posts in this topic

Caused when the two dies 'clash' together because a planchet failed to enter the die during the minting process. This can cause parts of the design of one or both of the dies to be impressed into the opposite die.

The "C" by the "Y" in LIBERTY on the obverse is your best indicator. Of course on the reverse the back of ABE's neck is to the right of the "C" in CENT.

Potentially. Much easier to tell with coin in hand...which I could do as I'm in Tucson atm. If it is a clash, then yes it is an error, but this one looks somewhat minor. Prices vary wildly on clashes from $5 up to much more. They are pieces that are very specialized and usually prices are completely determined by the buyer in my experiences of finding and selling several (I sold 3 at $5, $15 and $50, all varying degrees obviously). I'd be happy to take a look at it on Monday.