• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One crappy Kennedy

5 posts in this topic

Hi All - Have a gander at grading this extraordinarily bad Kennedy half - it just came back from PCGS. I'll pst the answer tonight! (The winner has the satisfaction of knowing they are astute in grading bad clad). laugh.gif

crappy Kennedy

Hoot

My answer on the CU boards!

Alas! It approaches 11p.m. back east, so it's time! But first! The incredibly exciting story - okay, short - I found this gem while looking through rolls of half dollars for silver. It stuck out like no other. Never have i seen a recent-dated Kennedy with so much wear. I inspected it for evidence of poor stike, such as a grease filled die, and could find none. Indeed, with the rims worn into the edge lettering, I thought I had found an AG03 coin. It truly looked like a pocket coin that had slipped into circulation on someone's desperate night wanting to buy that last beer or essential...

I sent it to braddick who thought it may grade as high as G04! We were hopeful that we had found the holy grail (minus a few jewels). We were SHOCKED shocked.gif when PCGS returned it as VF15!!! Indeed, as many of you pointed out, the scan has some detail in the hair and eagle's feathers that one would not expect on a lesser coin, but in person this coin looks like a well spent chain cent.

I'd give the prize to Greg but typical of his evil ways, he had INSIDER INFORMATION!!! He and Martha will be sharing office space in the near future !!!!!!! mad.gifshocked.giflaugh.gif

So, there were several of you who guessed VF, but only sinin1 specified F12! The prize? The genuine satisfaction of knowing you can grade the The Best of the Worst!!! (This is one perfectly rotten clad Kennedy! Too bad the clad does not show up in the complete US type con set frown.gif) Congratulations!

Hoot