• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to Crack The V

14 posts in this topic

I have no idea how to crack out a coin from PCGS slab.

Does this require a special tool other than the giant hammer I've been hitting it with!

doh!

A bolt cutters snipping the edge directly opposite the gasket, turn it around and snip the opposite edge. The slab will now be in two pieces, carefully slide the gasket with the coin intact out of the remnants...~Walla~

Note: cover plastic slab with a rag or towel before snipping. Make sure you wear eye protection.

I've used wide channel locks. Clamp them at the top of the slab (either side of the label), lay the channel locks on the side with the end of the handles sticking out, and hit the handle with a hammer. I usually wrap the slab in a kitchen towel with one layer to keep the plastic from flying.

Oddly, I've found PCGS slabs easier to crack open except for the old PCI slabs. I could just hit the PCI slabs with a hammer and split them open. The new ANACS thin slabs have been the most difficult.

Scott :hi:

I put the slab in a (clean) sock and mount it in the bench vise in my shop.

Slowly tighten until you hear a crack. After that it should open as easily as a Pistachio nut.

The sock is just in case the coin decides to try and make a run for the border...:lol:

I use a vise, like hiho, except I wrap the slab in a towel to prevent flying plastic slivers and the unforgivable oops coin drop :)

I put the slab in a (clean) sock and mount it in the bench vise in my shop.

Slowly tighten until you hear a crack. After that it should open as easily as a Pistachio nut.

The sock is just in case the coin decides to try and make a run for the border...:lol:

Great advice! Thanks...

Now, where do I get the courage to complete the task.

:o

I simply use pliers...I hold the slab in left hand and grip a corner with the pliers in my right...a bend of the wrist and one corner is off....gently work my way around the rim until I can pull the top and bottom apart...no flying pieces...no risk of damaging the coin...very controlled

I take a small mallet and crack it right on the 90 degree edge corner (top right hand side) of the holder. This is on top of a soft blanket placed over a hard tile floor.

I use my band saw and have never damaged a coin. Justs remove the 4 edges and your done. Run a piece of hardwood through the saw to clean the plastic from the saw's blade.

Jim

I have actually only cracked out two slabbed coins.

The first was a 1750 Netherlands 14G Gold Rider that ANACS graded AU53.

I was 100% sure it was an AU58 and that's how NGC certified it.

BIG price difference.

The second was an 1895-S Gold Soverign from Australia in a beat up PCGS holder graded MS62.

NGC called that MS61, so I should have left it alone.

Win some, lose some.