• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anyone know what's going on with the 2010 lincoln?

14 posts in this topic

i've seen the 'proposed' reverse design, the flag, but is that the actual one it will be? is there a date that an official statement will be made? some of us are curious! (shrug)

US_Z1C_2010_Lincoln-Cent-Reverse-1.jpg

The CFA selected the disjointed flag (that is emblematic of unity?), above. The CCAC selected one of the shields. Both were submitted to the Director and Sec of Treasury for final decision. I have not been told which was selected.

The CCAC has to select the "best" from a group of awful designs. The whole mess should have been rejected…none rose above “butt ugly.” I favored giving the artists given some good booze and allowing their imaginations to run free. (Part of the difficulty is that Congress dictated the "theme" of the reverse. This hamstrings the artists. Additionally, Congress has required so many commemoratives, that the poor creative types are barely holding up - just doing the best they can.)

.....thanks RWB. any idea when the next meeting will take place to 'concrete' the decisions? are there any plans for the change of the obverse? :popcorn:

The next CCAC meeting is scheduled for September. That is too late to do anything about the obverse, so I presume it will be Lincoln's coat, as before.

As for any firm decisions, the Treasury Dept will announce those - CCAC can only advise.

There were not 50 stars on the flag in the era that the coin is trying to depict. ;)

Nonetheless, there should be 50...it feels almost un-american to not have the other 16. aside from that, the design is not worthy of a place in my collection...I will have to put tape over the opposite side of my dansco

There were not 50 stars on the flag in the era that the coin is trying to depict. ;)

Nonetheless, there should be 50...it feels almost un-american to not have the other 16. aside from that, the design is not worthy of a place in my collection...I will have to put tape over the opposite side of my dansco

I do sorta feel sorry for the type collectors that will be forced to get one of these abominable disgraces.

Leave it to 'them' t pick the ugliest, most bland design...

I don't get it- I once saw a pattern of a dollar that was proposed in 1977 (I think) that harkened back to he days of old - I believe it had a Liberty obverse similar to the Peace dollar. I sure wish I could have one of those! I wish I could find that picture.... it had the SBA octagon but - oh, man, the devices! An awesome wind-blown Liberty profile. How in heck could that NOT be a no-brainer?

I was hoping - somewhere - for a return to the wheat ear motif... anything but the bland, ugly crappe they have been putting on all our coins of late. This latest offering tops the bill! Justa flat flag with no detail! I understand the 34 stars idea but how does leaving 1/3 of our states out symbolize unity? Hello? What are ya thinkin'? Dies last a little longer with a cheap- design with no relief? Gotcha...

I have always said, why put a picture of a flawed human on a coin in lieu of a vision, a lofty goal for all of the future?

Wouldn't it be easier if the obverse just said 'one' and the reverse, 'cent' and be done? Put all the other stuff on the rim...

This all started along time ago, but nothing screams laziness like the back of the Kennedy half - couldn't even take the time to detail the shield like it once was- there is something awesome about seeing the parallel lines of a blazing MS or proof seated dime's shield catch your eye from across a room.

I used to hate Peace dollars becase they were so bland compared to Morgans, etc. but compared to today's coinage they are beautful.

Whatever happened to the days when you could ID an engraver's work over several series of coins (Weinman, St. Gaudens, even Barber)?

Pardon my rant, but I have really had emough. I buy roof sets every year but quite honestly, they go in storage and I rarely look at them. Th only ones with any character are the ones tht are startng to tone, giving me somethin to look at besides the numb design and poor relief.

I have always hated foreign coins but some of them look pretty darned good compared to the lame same-old same-old offerings of the Mint.

So sorry to rant, but rant I must. First time I have 'gone off' since I got here...

dorkdog

Because the feminist movement was strong at the time and they made a big stink over needing to honor a real woman on the new coin. So they came up with a list of 100 proposed design choices and let people vote on them. The Liberty head/cap design won out head and shoulders over everything else. Number 2 was the statue of Liberty. The first real woman came in at #15, Susan B Anthony. So to appease the feminists we got the #15 most popular choice.

Unbelievable!

What better symbolism for women's rights than Lady Liberty - our guiding light to a future of life and pursuit of happiness.

I'm done hijacking this thread but want to say - I hope that the decision on the Lincoln cent for 2010 is made for art's sake - but I won't hold my breath. I got a feleling I'll be looking at a lot of 34-star flags...