• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Is The Earliest Date On A US Counterfiet Coin? (answer posted)

16 posts in this topic

What is the oldest date found on a standard issue US coin that has been counterfeited? i.e. we know there are 1804 counterfeit silver dollars and of course there are many counterfeit bust half dollars including lettered edge pieces date 1837, so my question is does anyone one know what the earliest known date found on a regular issue US coin (that means colonial coins,pieces of eight or other none US mint issue types are not included) that has been counterfeited? The answer will be posted tonight or tomorrow morning if know one gives the correct answer.

1652 - There were contemporary counterfeits of the Pine Tree shillings. There were also copies of the very first coin made in what would be the U.S. the NE Shilling, but it did not have a date.

You people forget that counterfeiters weren't always the smartest of people and that fact is clearly shown with this counterfeit 1787 Flowing Hair half dollar. Below is a copy of a lot description from a 1998 auction where one realized $613, in the same sale a cast counterfeit 1796 bust half realized $3600. It would be nice to find a copy of the 1962 Coin World where the 1787 was declared authentic.

1787-50c.jpg

Hi , Maybe Someone can help me out with these Two Coins , I've been trying to figure out if they are real since I got them . I have taken them to many coin shops but with no response whether they are real or not .

Please Give your Opinion and Thank You .

Picture 1 Click Here

Picture 2 Click Here

Picture 3 Click Here

Picture 4 Click Here

The Gray Spots are Not Spots But some Sort Of Cloth Balls by the way .

Rak -

If you wish them authenticated - you need to send them in. I believe NCS offers authentication only if that's what you wish. They will also remove the spots. And they will be happy to have NGC grade them for you as well.

Thanks , I'm waiting on My ID back In the mail , Just sent In my Info/ANAMember Form to NGC Today to be able to Submit .

I was Just hoping someone may be Familiar with these type's of coin's .

Thank's Again GDJMSP