• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Remove the pop numbers for modern coins!

6 posts in this topic

Some Series wouldn't decline in value as rapidly as they now do (or should). Less information draws only speculation. It's better to know, for example, State Quarters in MS66 are not scarce, are not valuable, and probably never will be. The POP reports reflects that. Without it information would disseminate at a much slower pace and values remain false.

Oh I think prices would fall. How much, I don't know. On the other hand I think some people could be taken advantage of. Unscrupulous dealers and con-men could lead people to believe the populations of ultra high grade coins are much lower than they actually are and that could cause some issues. Either way, this is a very thought provoking question.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I personally agree with Robert and Braddick. I think the pop reports serve a valuable function to all who buy and sell coins. My main gripe is with PeCeGeEs's pop report not being up-dated regularly, accurately and completely. I have always felt that if they are going to make available the prices and the numbers, they had better be correct and I have found MANY errors and omissions, especially in their price reports for PR Jeff nickels. They completely ignore the PR 69 prices for the years prior to and including 1964. There are over 660 @ that grade and over 15 in PR70 (by their own pop report) yet they refuse to put them in their price list (I have asked nicely MANY times!) to no avail.

It is almost as if they are doing every collector a favor by putting up the reports and if you don't like them, don't use them. Being up to date and complete seems secondary to just having them available.

The moderns are exploding in population and if you aren't careful in your purchases, you can get "robbed" by buying at one price one day only to see the number of certs for that coin in that grade double almost overnight making your coin only half as rare and half as valuable as it was when you bought it! This is happening to me with regards PR70DCam Jeffs from the 1990's. Bought four of them less then 6 months ago and am now watching them sell for 50% of my cost! Won't make that mistake again. 893frustrated.gif

It's widely known how many dealers including DH himself who will rush their submission orders so they can get that first write up in their websites that they have a pop top coin. So they can sell a modern pop top coin for outrageous bucks to the registry fanatics! Rest assure it's not allowed to register a present year coin into a set but still, the shysters are still trying to screww someone with this pop top hype.

So I say, do away with the pop numbers for coins in the last 25 to 50 years and then let's see how they profit on misleading information generated by his own company. 27_laughing.gif

Leo