• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Highfill and Wayne Miller

7 posts in this topic

Does anybody know anything about John Highfill ?? He compiled the silver dollar encyclopedia back in the early 90s, and was one of the founders of the National Silver Dollar Roundtable, but now I never see his name mentioned any where ??

Also, does anybody know how to contact Wayne Miller ?? The guy's a legend in the dollar world.

Here's Millers Web Page

http://www.wmcoins.com/

John Highfill still at times attends shows but hasn't set up in any in quite a while. The last time I saw him was at the 2001 FUN Show. When the market crashed in the early 90's he took a big hit, money wise, and never has fully recovered.

John Highfill was one of the biggest marketmakers in PCGS Morgans and a high profile dealer during the bull market of the late 80's. As Art said, when the market crashed, he took tremendous hits (as did many other dealers). I had heard that he went broke and had some kind of a nervous breakdown soon afterwards. I have also heard that he has worked parttime for some other large dealers in recent times (Silvertowne, Heritage?) but haven't seen him in a long time.

I had also heard that Wayne Miller was possibly working on a new updated version of his famous Morgan & Peace Dollar Textbook, I hope that's true.

dragon

I got to talk to a legend today....it's the little things in life that excite you...

Art hooked me up with the web site for Wayne Miller. They had a dollar on there that I was interested in, so I called to check on it. Talked to Wayne Miller himself.

Unfortunately he didn't have the coin I was looking for in stock, but I still felt like a little school kid talking to a true legend in the Morgan dollar world. grin.gif

That's a great thing about the net. You get to correspond with some really knowledgable people that you might never meet and learn that they haven't forgotten when they were fresh to the hobby. I've emailed with authors, CEO's, dealers and other experts and have been treated as equals every time.

I agree with you! It's not just because of the net, it's also because most of the people in the hobby (even those on the business side) are pretty nice people. Not all, of course, but most.

The net has made it easier to contact people and get replies, absolutely.