• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double dime article

14 posts in this topic

After a 2+ year hiatus, I'm back to writing again. Check next month's Numismatist for my article on US 20 cent pieces.

Late last year I went back to working on a book I've been researching and writing on and off over the past 5 or 6 years regarding double dimes. This article isn't pulled from a future chapter of the book, but it stems from my research to put the coin in its historical context. It won't have any details about mintages, varieties, etc. as most of this is available. It's more of a "and-now-you-know-the-rest-of-the-story" piece.

Another article I submitted in March is slated for publication in Numismatist next April (I didn't know the ANA planned that far ahead).

I got my copy of Numismatist yesterday and saw my article. Brandon Kelley was nice enough to let me submit sharp photos of a colorful 1875-S, but the editor chose a proof 1877 from the ANA archives. (shrug) The only photos of mine they used were of the two worn 2-reales from my collection.

It's too bad the magazine doesn't have room for a bibliography. Finding the sources to write the article was the hardest part, so being able to list the sources would save fellow researchers a lot of time.

I really like the fact that you dug deep into the economics of the time to get a slightly different perspective on why the 20¢ piece seemed to be appealing for 1875. Thank you for such a nice article. It's not just the same recycled information that we commonly see in other articles about the denomination.

It's too bad the magazine doesn't have room for a bibliography. Finding the sources to write the article was the hardest part, so being able to list the sources would save fellow researchers a lot of time.

Having some experience with trade magazine publication (not coins) I can say that most editors encourage the addition of an email address should the reader want further information on sources. With a premium on space, very few mags will have sources listed separately.

Congrats on the publication, its not easy to be published these days- in any venue.

A specialty publication such as The Numismatist, should always include a bibliography and primary sources. Long ago, they routinely did this.

A specialty publication such as The Numismatist, should always include a bibliography and primary sources. Long ago, they routinely did this.

When I submitted a former article, I was told that the bibliography would be published in the online version instead of the print version. I don't remember if I bothered to include the bibliography this time. When I finally publish my book I'll make sure to check with Turabian so my form is correct.

I imagine the journal for the American Numismatic Society would have footnotes and bibliographies for articles. Is this true?

BTW, one of my profs in grad school made it crystal clear that anything other than a primary source should be referred to as "secondary literature". I've skipped some interesting claims about double dimes because they had no source references. Without being able to verify the sources (ad fontes , as we learned in school), I can only add quotes from secondary literature in the notes as unsubstantiated claims. I wish I could verify such claims in Rusty Goe's The Mint on Carson Street .

I think I found Rusty's contact info and sent him an e-mail asking for help. I'm also going to check out his latest book from the ANA library to look for references.

My latest research has proven to me that the double dime was entirely the Lepubricans' fault. Maybe that will get my book a place on the New York Times Best-Seller List if I market it properly (or improperly, as the case may be).

BTW, one of my profs in grad school made it crystal clear that anything other than a primary source should be referred to as "secondary literature." I've skipped some interesting claims about double dimes because they had no source references. Without being able to verify the sources (ad fontes, as we learned in school), I can only add quotes from secondary literature in the notes as unsubstantiated claims. I wish I could verify such claims in Rusty Goe's The Mint on Carson Street.

Failure to follow this simple "rule" is part of why coin collecting is so full of bogus information and tall tales.