• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charleston Coin Show Report

10 posts in this topic

Hey all, just went to the local club show this morning. Had a great time, and took my sister with me. She was excited, and was able to complete her Eisenhower set.

It was a pretty small show, about 30 dealers or so, but there seemed to be a decent number of people there. The show is twice a year and I've been several times, there seemed to be more people there than last year. I heard a couple dealers say they were pretty busy yesterday, but not as busy today.

There were a few dealers with some really nice stuff, including a guy with some very high end Franklins (unfortunately, they were PCGS). He had a 60D and a 61D, both in 65FBL (his prices were double and triple the PCGS price guide though - I didn't have the heart to tell him I got a vastly superior 61D for a third of the price last month). Most dealers seemed to have a pretty good selection of the more common stuff. A couple dealers had some pretty nice EF bust halves, but I wasn't really looking to buy much today.

Of interest - I did not see a single CAC sticker in the entire building. I did however see one dealer with his entire inventory graded by DGS (probably about 200 coins) - and it looked nice. I was not too familiar with most of his material (mainly late 19th century Seated Liberty and Barber stuff, with a few Morgans and other stuff) but it all looked accurately graded. The couple of Franklins and Washington's I picked up were very accurately graded. I've noticed that a lot of the DGS slabs will say light cleaning, or list a couple of other minor problems. I got a chance to examine many of these today, and I would not hesitate to buy any of them, if I were in the market for the stuff he had. They looked to have maybe had a light dipping or something of the sort, common for older material. There weren't hairlines or anything like that, and I'm guessing most of them would have been slabbed with no mention of any sort of issue at all by NGC or PCGS. Of course, the ones without a problem mentioned were choice and beautiful. Based on the small sampling I looked at today, I will say that DGS has a future as a grader if they keep it up.

I got most of the way through the dealers before I spotted something I just had to have: an 1886 Morgan in 65* from the Binion hoard. I have been wanting to get a really nice Morgan toner for a little while now, but hadn't seen the right one for the right price yet. This one was more cash than I had on me, but I talked the guy into trading several coins for it. I traded him the 1949 65FBL, 1954D 64FBL, and 1835 raw VF-EF Bust Half that I had listed in the Marketplace, which came to around $250 or so. I'll put the pictures up soon. I should add that this is my only Morgan, and the first I've owned that grades higher than VG.

I also was able to find a very nice 1889 Victoria Jubilee Head shilling, which completes my type set by monarch back to 1700 (according to my definition of the type set, which is different than NGC's).

Overall, it was a very good show and I was happy. I always enjoy coin shows, even if they aren't so big. I'll put the pictures up soon!

Edited to add pics of the shilling

83626.jpg.2082ef1ea8cb27fbbe7a70a8a1647fee.jpg

83627.jpg.349bc80678617694c55823c2e5e7a41d.jpg

It sounds as though you had an excellent time and it is really nice that you have at least one family member interested in coins, too. (thumbs u

Thanks for the report.

It's good to hear about some shows that are a bit "off the beaten path."

Glad you got some nice coins - especially the shilling!

I was looking around on the Internet for more about Binion and such, and saw that my coin had previously sold on Teletrade. Here are the TT pics, but the coin has so much more life and vibrancy than these pics show.

c26901786-a.jpg

Interesting read, thanks for taking the time to compile this report on activities in your area, especially about Dominion and how you perceived their service. I have been critical of them in the past (based on what I have seen) and perhaps they are making strides in the right direction. With ICG on the line, who knows their future, there might just be a niche opening for a preferred service.

Note: when I opened the page and started to scroll down, I noticed the crown and immediately thought, dang, Jason picked up a Isabella Quarter…but wait, something’s not right here, right lady, wrong coin!

great report even better morgan

the reverse is killer

by the way what did the coin go for on teletrash??

I was going to ask the same thing.I'm not registered there so I can't search for it.

the reverse is killer

I was going to ask the same thing.I'm not registered there so I can't search for it.

It sold for $190 on Teletrade, which seems kinda low.

the reverse is killer

It sold for $190 on Teletrade, which seems kinda low.

Very low considering the pedigree(small uptic) and the star. Man,I'm having second thoughts about returning the 04-O 66 Star I bought for $270. Oh Well,spilt milk.