• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How can justify this grading?

9 posts in this topic

While searching for a nicer '93 CC I came across this "beauty". How could this coin be EF condition. Maybe it was the grader's coin??? I don't see a CAC sticker in the near future for this coin...lol!

83605.jpg.3310719b40c73beab01b4f9027eb167f.jpg

83606.jpg.1bc9e8916ac4ed32f82906d8be621cbc.jpg

dipped out/cleaned

weak strike

but such an in demand series and also important date usually given some leeway: and my they certainly did with this slab job

not good or bad but i bet price enhanced by the plastic and grade

It looks like a nice VF to me. You see this on circulated key date Lincoln and Indian cents as well as other low denomination coins. But this was "par for the course for long while with the major TPGs, and it's sad. :(

Looks like a decent VF to me too. Look at the eagle's breast...

My thought exactly! It looks to not even have a full wing pattern, along with a lot of talon wear. Hairlines are very worn also. I think VF-30 at best. 10 point miss??? The price jumps from like $600 to about $1200 in XF! This is a classic "buy the coin not the holder" in my opinion!

If that is a fake slab then it is a very convincing holder. The last fake PCGS holder I saw did not have the 6 little round sprue/stand-off points and the PCGS genuine slab has only the 4 corner alignment guides, where-as the fakes showed a guide at mid-point up both sides.

Very well worn coin for XF-40 though. I would not pay XF-40 money for this coin, but those seeking a key coin in this series surely will.