• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tonight for diversion/entertainment....

4 posts in this topic

I am conducting electrolysis experiments on coins. I metal detect coins for a hobby. Some coins (mostly Wheats) that come out of the ground don't have a readable date. I read about electrolysis from this helpful link:

electrolysis

and so far I've run 5 wheats that I could not read the date on thru the process and it has worked quite well so far. I have been able to now read the dates on cents ranging from the teens to the 1940's. This is fun. It harkens me back to my chemistry set days of my youth.

zzz.com.ru/dexter.jpg' alt='dexter.jpg'> 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

what does that process do to the surface of the coin? Is it similar to the results/effects of Nic A Date on a dateless buffalo?

what does that process do to the surface of the coin? Is it similar to the results/effects of Nic A Date on a dateless buffalo?

It's more like "Pit A Date." 27_laughing.gif

Leo

It leaves the surface alone for the most part. Of course if the crud that falls off had penetrated the surface you're gonna see pits. Worse case, the surface looks dull and flat, but clean. I've only tried cents, will try nickels next. (Never use nic a date so don't know about that.)