• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quick Question for you Indian Cent guys

7 posts in this topic

I've got a PCGS MS64 RB 1864 Indian cent that has a neat, mint made 'swirling' mark on the portrait. It is difficult to see (and, more tough to photograph) but those who know what I'm talking about will be familiar.

I can't find any info. on line regarding this variety. I did years ago when I purchased the coin, but can't find it now.

Again, the portrait has die struck circular marks (like a swirling pattern) on the cheek.

Any help on how I can find out more?

I have seen this sort of thing described as a lathe mark, made when the reducing lathe engraves the master. This makes sense, especially if the engraving pin is improperly sized. Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but it sounds like it.

My guess is that you are referring to Snow-11, the variety with "lathe lines". I'd suggest starting a search with "Snow-11"!

Edited to add: if you have an early die state with particularly strong die lines, I'd be interested in the coin, provided it is for sale.

I'd call it a "RAM HEAD". When that gets popular I want royalties!!! It's either that or my singing career.... and I don't think that's happening!

You guys are the BEST (I don't care what other chat forums say. . . ;) )

That is IT.

Mine are visable, just like the photo.

James, the reason it is not for sale is only because I KNOW it is an MS65 hiding right now in a 4 holder... I've got to send it in for review.

You guys are the BEST (I don't care what other chat forums say. . . ;) )

That is IT.

Mine are visable, just like the photo.

James, the reason it is not for sale is only because I KNOW it is an MS65 hiding right now in a 4 holder... I've got to send it in for review.

Gotcha!

If the grading gods refuse and refuse and continue to abuse, and you do decide to unload it, and it's an early die state, please let me know. I would like an example for reference (to be kept, not resold). Thanks!