• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clear or White Prongs

Clear Vs. White  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Clear Vs. White

13 posts in this topic

Clear for sure, but it's more complicated than that. They would have to use a clear-pronged insert that fits into the white gasket in order to preserve their trademark white gasket look. I've seen this technology used in multicoin holders, so such a clear-pronged insert has already been developed.

IMO, the so-called "clear" prongs aren't clear at all and would really offer no improvement.

NGC is limited in the materials that they can use simply because most plastics emit gases you wouldn't necessarily want near your coins. If someone could develop a true "clear" gasket which was also inert, that would be something worth pursuing.

I am fine with the white prongs for my Bust Halves, which is my main interest. I just don't see a better method of showing off any more of the edge short of keeping the coin raw, which I think is crazy for more valuable or high end specimens. The PCGS holder may allow for better viewing and photographing the obverse and reverse, but you cannot see the edge at all, and small rim dings are hidden.

I am fine with the white prongs for my Bust Halves, which is my main interest. I just don't see a better method of showing off any more of the edge short of keeping the coin raw, which I think is crazy for more valuable or high end specimens. The PCGS holder may allow for better viewing and photographing the obverse and reverse, but you cannot see the edge at all, and small rim dings are hidden.

The clear prongs allow you to see the hidden part of the edge; in fact the plastic magnifies it!

IMO, the so-called "clear" prongs aren't clear at all and would really offer no improvement.

NGC is limited in the materials that they can use simply because most plastics emit gases you wouldn't necessarily want near your coins. If someone could develop a true "clear" gasket which was also inert, that would be something worth pursuing.

Not crystal clear, but certainly transparent. They also allow you to see the hidden edge.