• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Details Grading to Begin September 1, 2009

45 posts in this topic

I have no evidence to support this comment, but I suspect that this change will also improve the marketability of problem coins or at least some of them. For the coins I collect anyway, the discount between NGC and NCS coins is huge. I would say about 75% on average which in many instances I consider excessive.

You make a very good point.

PS: One thing does suck. I just sent 5 coins off to grading (coupons expired 8-20-09. A couple are probably BB's. I sure wish I could have waited a couple of weeks.

I also made a submission just this past week for cross-over grading that will likely turn out having some problem coins. When I mailed the submission I was unaware of the new detail grade policy. I went to "contact us" on NGC's webpage and asked if they would hold the problem coins until they could be graded and encapsulated. I included the submission number and my Collector's Society number in the e-mail. I got a reply from Lisa at NGC stating she would forward my hold request to receiving, but could not promise me anything. You may or may not be able to do the same either, but I thought it was worth a try to save me and I hope you a little money.

Gary

PS: One thing does suck. I just sent 5 coins off to grading (coupons expired 8-20-09. A couple are probably BB's. I sure wish I could have waited a couple of weeks.

I also made a submission just this past week for cross-over grading that will likely turn out having some problem coins. When I mailed the submission I was unaware of the new detail grade policy. I went to "contact us" on NGC's webpage and asked if they would hold the problem coins until they could be graded and encapsulated. I included the submission number and my Collector's Society number in the e-mail. I got a reply from Lisa at NGC stating she would forward my hold request to receiving, but could not promise me anything. You may or may not be able to do the same either, but I thought it was worth a try to save me and I hope you a little money.

Gary

I won't because quite frankly, I do not want a grader to open my coins with a note "Hold for BB to get slabbed" on it.

May or may not affect the outcome, but I will just see what happens.

MM

So finally the top graders are doing what ANACS did 20 years ago! lol Better late than never, and a win for collectors overall. Congrats!

^ this

Any system that gives as much info as possible is best. I've always found just slapping a number on a slab with nothing else rather ridiculous. Actually, I guess what I found ridiculous was that people accepted this type of crappy service all these years. Good to see someone doing something different.

jom

It is about time. I was just going to do a basic membership next year because of bodybagging. I was tired of paying good money for grading, and getting nothing back for a bad coin.

Face it, most of us can not afford that MS-65 1899-CC, but we maybe can afford a lightly cleaned AU58 one. I recently bought a 1904-S Morgan that had a few hairlines, but was otherwise MS62. It would not grade, but looks wonderful in my album.

Another thing. If a coin has only 5000 minted, a cleaned one is just as rare in my opinion as a non cleaned one. It is still 99.999 % of the same metal from the same dies. To me, the fact that someone years ago (when it was accepted), dipped the coin does not make it any less of a coin. I do admit however, there is a fine line between light cleaning, and totally destroying a piece.

Ok purists....Fire away!

MM

Great point. I will send in lots of coins, I was unsure what to do with. Many would be happy to have a details grade on rare date coins. Unfortunately, it will make the graders very picky (as they haven't been ridiculous anyway :cry::mad:), even more than CAC has IMHO

Sux to be me - I submitted my coins on 8/3, one day before this came out. he NGC invoice date is 8/5... If I had known I would have waited; I have a BB coin coming back as we speak. I was in no hurry to grade them.

Just my luck....

dorkdog

What should I do now?

Even problem coins are in need of authentication, especially today. Holdering them will also prevent future owners from sending them in, and more importantly, from buying them as problem free in the first place.

I have a lightly cleaned key date that I am going to submit. I didn't buy the coin, but having that coin in a slab, even with a detailed grade, helps in a lot of ways, including insurance!

Scott :hi:

Gary

I won't because quite frankly, I do not want a grader to open my coins with a note "Hold for BB to get slabbed" on it.

May or may not affect the outcome, but I will just see what happens.

MM

Just got the results.ALL 3 of the gold I sent is coming back in BB's. Just more wasted money. I am not saying they all 3 would grade, but one was just a regular circulated coin, yet is being BB'd? If they had not come out with the new no grade holder service, this would have been my last year as a member. What does suck is I got nothing for my money because I had to use the coupons by Aug 20. And do not tell me they were free. I paid for them when I joined!

MM

I am just glad to be through the grading fees, waiting, uncertainty, cracking-out, more fees, more waiting, more uncertainly, double death helix of NGC grading! Plus you ended up with something in a slab that was market unacceptable! Now, send the coin in ONCE! get it in a slab and agree or disagree with the grade but at least it gets done and hopefully, it will be market acceptable.

I think this is great. It would be nice to have an award winning set but I'm more interested in completing my sets.

So how do I add an NCS coin to my type set?

I think you wait,

I didn't read too much into it but I was thinking it was just the Details grading that started 9-1 and you were not able to add them to your set until mid Sept.

I think this is great. It would be nice to have an award winning set but I'm more interested in completing my sets.

So how do I add an NCS coin to my type set?

I think you wait,

I didn't read too much into it but I was thinking it was just the Details grading that started 9-1 and you were not able to add them to your set until mid Sept.

I was correct you have to wait until 9/10

"Beginning September 10, 2009, NGC Details Graded coins will be eligible for inclusion in Registry sets. In competitive sets, an NGC Details Graded coin will receive 50% of the point value assigned to a numerically graded coin with a similar level of wear."