• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Even if this 1934-S Peace was not cleaned, would you think it mint-state?

6 posts in this topic

NCS gave it UNC details, so it sounds like it would meet your needs. It looks like a bad dip, which is much less offensive than abrasively cleaned. I hate hairlines, and a brillo pad cleaned example would be unsatisfactory. But if you're ok with it, then go for it I guess.

I personally would look for a lower grade example which fell into my price range.

It appears to have Mint State sharpness, but I've seen a few that I liked better for MS-60 or so money.

It's an admittedly small sample size, but I had a piece years ago that was in an NGC MS-61 holder that really looked better than that. It had very few marks and decent luster. My take was that the grading was ultra conservative.

Maybe all the coins like this have been cracked and sent in for up grades. But my take is, I'd rather hold out for a piece with natural surfaces and luster than a piece like this. Coins like this are always a mess to sell, because the buyer's line is always, yes, but. I prefer straight grade pieces with no questions.

I definitely agree with NCS assigning it UNC details (and very nice details at that)

Looks like the owner left it soaking in some kind of dip a little TOO long. If you can snatch it up at a decent price, I say add it to the collection

I wouldn't mind it raw in an album. In fact, if I bought it, I would crack it immediately. I just wouldn't want big print reminding me all the time that the coin is cleaned, even if I knew it to be so.