• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Use of mirrors by press operators

20 posts in this topic

Has anyone seen references to 19th century mint press operators using a mirror to check die condition? (Sorry, not "smoke and mirrors" just ordinary flat mirrors. Also, I doubt this was the reason shiny proof coins were struck...)

Makes perfect sense....think about it. Looking at the face of a coin die in a mirror would be like looking at the reverse image of the reversed image. ~TaDa~

You mean looking at the Obverse die while it is still in the press vs. stiking your head in there and looking up?

It makes sense since the upper die is upside down with the die face facing downward which would be easiest to examine using a mirror facing upward a few inches under the die face.

"You mean looking at the Obverse die while it is still in the press vs. sticking your head in there and looking up?"

Yep...while the department practical joker pressed the "START" button.

Hello Folks----Looking upside down and drilling with the use of a mirror is "NOT" a problem---once you get the hang of it. Being a dentist, I had to do it for over 30 years. You get very used to it. Drilling that way becomes second nature to you. Sure beats turning your head upside down and sticking it in the patient's mouth.

However, the first reality of having to do it that way is "very scary". It actually took me a full year practicing on the head mount while a soph in dental school. I'm proud to say that I was the first student in my group to realize that you just couldn't remove the patient's head in real life. You just COULDN"T cheat. It was wonderful once I knew that I had it accomplished. Afterall, drilling with a high speed drill could be dangerous to both you and the patient. Bob [supertooth]

Hello Folks----Looking upside down and drilling with the use of a mirror is "NOT" a problem---once you get the hang of it. Being a dentist, I had to do it for over 30 years. You get very used to it. Drilling that way becomes second nature to you. Sure beats turning your head upside down and sticking it in the patient's mouth.

However, the first reality of having to do it that way is "very scary". It actually took me a full year practicing on the head mount while a soph in dental school. I'm proud to say that I was the first student in my group to realize that you just couldn't remove the patient's head in real life. You just COULDN"T cheat. It was wonderful once I knew that I had it accomplished. Afterall, drilling with a high speed drill could be dangerous to both you and the patient. Bob [supertooth]

:signfunny:Good one Bob :roflmao:

It was hard enough to figure out what the basins were used for next to each press, along with the attached dip cup on a wooden handle...now your asking about mirrors.

Haven't seen any pictures of a press operator using a mirror, every historical picture I've seen, the dies were already out of the press (some still in collars, some just the die pairs)

If I run across anything I'll post.

Yeah uhh, somehow I don't think I'd stick my head in a coining press. No matter what the job paid :D

There may not have been enough room for a noggin in there anyway..

Just a thought, but I would think the coiner could just take a look at the last coin that came off the press to get a good idea of the state of the die. (shrug)

“Just a thought, but I would think the coiner could just take a look at the last coin that came off the press to get a good idea of the state of the die."

That's the normal process as I understand it, too. Maybe it was that "last coin" that prompted further inspection....? Pulling a die was not a trivial task.

Unfortunately, original Mint records are missing....What could the Coiner's Journal have told us?

Pulling a die was not a trivial task.

You mean they don't just loosen a wing nut and the die drops down? :o

No... the wing nut is the one that loosens the die! :roflmao:

I have used inspection mirrors before to access hidden areas, but here's the thing, I also had a flash light in the other hand...they were not invented until 1902 and that does not mean Sears Roebuck & Co. had flashlights on the shelf in 1902.

Most of the old mint pictures I've seen, they were still using gas for lights.

So you're saying the mint workers had gas. That explains the plating errors and alloy problems we see.

Just a thought, but I would think the coiner could just take a look at the last coin that came off the press to get a good idea of the state of the die."

That's the normal process as I understand it, too. Maybe it was that "last coin" that prompted further inspection....? Pulling a die was not a trivial task.

Unfortunately, original Mint records are missing....What could the Coiner's Journal have told us?

Agree. When you are lapping a clashed die, a mirror would be handy to check on your progress and to make sure you don't remove any important design elements such as the buffalo's front leg.

Pulling a die was not a trivial task.

You mean they don't just loosen a wing nut and the die drops down? :o

Removing a die is fairly easy compared to reinstalling the die which involves detailed adjustements of the spacing. Too close and you damage the dies and equipment. Too far appart and you'll get weakly struck coins.

So you're saying the mint workers had gas. That explains the plating errors and alloy problems we see.

nickel-2.jpg

5 cent restaurant in New York's Bowery circa 1910. What you get for your 5 cents at the People's Restaurant: Stew, Pork & Beans, Oatmeal & Milk. "All with bread & coffee."

Mint employees could take their freshly minted “V” nickel and get an entire hot meal, including the beans!

5 cent restaurant in New York's Bowery circa 1910. What you get for your 5 cents at the People's Restaurant: Stew, Pork & Beans, Oatmeal & Milk. "All with bread & coffee."

Mint employees could take their freshly minted “V” nickel and get an entire hot meal, including the beans!

Interestingly, 5-cents in 1910 is worth $1.14 today based on this inflation calculator. The best you can get for $1.14 today is something off of a fast food restaurant's Dollar Menu, and have some change left over!

Scott

I see now where Bass Ale was on special at the liquor store for only a $1.60 for a 12 pack. Now one 12 oz. bottle of Bass Ale costs $1.95

bassbeer.jpg

Bottles of Bass beer can be seen alongside the champagne on the Bar at the Folies-Bergère in Edouard Manet's painting of 1882. (Red Triangle on label)

Bringing class to the Tangents Section…you guys need it!