• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question About Silver Britannia Packaging

7 posts in this topic

My 2009 Silver Britannia just arrived from the Royal Mint, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a non-destructive way to get the coin out of the plastic thing that it comes in. I want to briefly get it out in order to take a proper photo, but then I want to put it back in to protect it, hence why I need to open this thing non-destructively.

I haven't found a way..if you're talking about the capsule that seems to be crazy-glued closed, I have had a devil of a time getting these open..try a razor blade perhaps..those little razor knives with the triangular blade at the end of a handle seem to work best..

Hmm so I can send it for grading ;) make NGC open it :D

I got my first silver BU this year.. also got my first proof..

Got the gold 1/4 oz one too to go with last years one :D

Non destructively? No! I remove them and place them in AirTites. All of the silver bullion coins I collect (Britannias, Maple Leafs, Pandas, Eagles) are put into AirTites and into their own box. I don't worry about breaking the holder, just not harming the coin!

Scott :hi:

I use an X-acto knife to open capsules like that. Just slide the blade into the gap and work it patiently around until it pops open. I don't think I was able to reuse the capsule for my proof after opening it. A directfit airtite would be the best option for holding it.

As for the regular issue britannias, I think that if you're concerned about keeping the coins looking nice, the best choice is to immediately remove the coin from that horrid packaging (the coin is directly contacting the plastic bag over the card; there is no top to the coin capsule!)