• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

layfayette dollar (new photos added)

9 posts in this topic

Plan to submit at next Long Beach show. Straight shots make it look flat. Angled shots are more representative. Still figuring out how to get decent shots with new camera.

83362.jpg.2fa624e924b31d86553868d9694fc2ef.jpg

83363.jpg.a0bb102cbafeba933b22b36510ecfbd8.jpg

83365.jpg.aae7e727bbc675a8afdf4b26136ca0f5.jpg

83366.jpg.ab3c7bd4378d9a1cf75caa83c292efb6.jpg

The coin appears to have flat and dull luster. My guess it's been dipped too many times, or it is one of the Layfayette Dollars that got a deep tone in the original envelope and did not dip well. Sorry, but I'm not convinced that this will get a grade.

Here is an MS-63 that has more like the sort of luster you need.

LafayetteO.jpgLafayetteR.jpg

au-62 with a possibility of bodybag as currently nhc is on a bodybag kick because of the cac blah blah blah...... but still true:) and this is a good thing in my eyes

so it will au 58 or ms 61 and again in hand my accessment might be different

also great photos by the way good angle for both shots your photography skills are excellent!!

Note. I bought this over 15 years ago in an ANACS MS-62 and cracked it out planning to submit to PCGS or NGC and had set it aside back then. The darn black spots were not there when I busted it out. Any suggestions on how to remove the spots while not disturbing the surfaces? I have not messed with the coin, but live near the ocean so perhaps the salt air may have caused a reaction????

In hindsight, I should have just left it in the ANACS holder, but no one can go back in time.

Thanks for any suggestions.

looks like the salt air has gotten to it

not surprising and i think this coin is a definate send to ncs let them remove it and then off to ngc for grading

good luck and please keep me informed

looks like it will grade after the spotting which i am sure is light can be removed

hopefully it will grade ms 62 again and you got a great shot at 62

again good luck

This is a borderline call for certification. It is likely to bodybag, yet even so, it might be worth enough to warrant a "genuine" holder.

As far as imaging, I think your camera in the first image was positioned appropriately. It seems you need to change the position of your lighting, however.

Note. I bought this over 15 years ago in an ANACS MS-62 and cracked it out planning to submit to PCGS or NGC and had set it aside back then. The darn black spots were not there when I busted it out. Any suggestions on how to remove the spots while not disturbing the surfaces? I have not messed with the coin, but live near the ocean so perhaps the salt air may have caused a reaction????

In hindsight, I should have just left it in the ANACS holder, but no one can go back in time.

Thanks for any suggestions.

NCS can do a good job of removing the black spots, but it might not be worth the cost of doing it.

I would not blame myself completely for cracking out the coin. The black spots could have formed in the holder any way. They could have been the result of improperly removed coin dip or the guy who put the coin in holder could have sneezed on it.

One more thing about ANACS. ANACS was one of the better second line grading companies behind PCGS and NGC. BUT as it often is with non PCGS and NGC graded coins, pieces usually ended up in ANACS holders for a reason. SOMETIMES ANACS could be very conservative. There was a period when they were really tough on common date gold coins. BUT by in large ANACS was not as strict as NGC and PCGS.

Good photos!

I would have left it in the old ANACS holder until the night before I sent it to NGC.

And I feel ANACS was (and still is) a very competent grading service and there is no shame having their name on your slabs.

It still looks MS-62 to me but others may not agree. Maybe keep a bag if silica gel in with your coins to combat the sea air.