• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Die Reverse - designation?

8 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what effect "double die reverse" designation does to the value of a coin? A local coin shop has a 1925, $20 St Gaudins gold coin, PCGS MS-63, with "double die reverse" designation. The asking price is $3500, which is more than twice the value of all price guides I know of. I will appreciate any help on this subject.

Hello jerry----- Interesting question and I suppose it depends on the coin and the series.

Just recently, PCGS added the 1946DDR Walker coin to their Registry Set of Walkers. That alone will make that one coin more popular---and potentially more valuable.

If you check the PCGS and the NGC populations on that coin, you will see that it is worthwhile to own them. Their value in higher grades is already "quite apparent".

Just last week I asked NGC about whether the 46DDR coin would be added to the NGC Walker Registry series. Thus far, I have NOT gotten a response.

Each DDR coin will probably have to stand on its own merits---whether or not for example the DDR can be seen with the naked eye ---OR NOT. Factors will determine their ultimate values----will the coin be "hyped" by the coin community?? Sometimes yes---other times a NO. Bob [supertooth]

The value of doubled dies is solely dependent on their demand. The 1955 DDO Lincoln has tremendous demand, and thus has high prices. The 1961 DDR Franklin has strong demand, and thus strong prices. A doubled die that no one has heard of, or with weak demand, will not garner much of a premium (if at all).

Bob is correct in that the stronger the doubling, the more demand and premium there usually is. The two I mentioned are probably the strongest 2 doubled dies known, you can quite clearly see them with your naked eye. The 1951 DDR Franklin I discovered (and which you can see in my Registry set here: http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/CoinDetail.aspx?PeopleCoinID=459460&PeopleSetID=6638 ) is also plainly visible to the naked eye.

The coin you mention is probably not worth the significant premium you mentioned. Very few people collect gold by variety. Given the high cost of the coin to begin with, very few people can afford it - remember, lower demand will mean lower premium. I do not know about the specific example you mentioned, but I would be very surprised if it was worth 2x normal.

*Spam* If you are looking for affordable doubled dies, either to kickstart a variety collection, for curiosities sake, or some other reason, I have several for sale in the Marketplace right now (Lincolns, a Franklin, and a Kennedy).

If its DDR FS-801 (Cherrypicker's Guide variety), its probably not worth much over regular values. In fact, Cherrypicker's lists it at no premium. Often, gold coin varieties carry only tiny premiums. In general, fewer dies were employed in the striking of gold coins, and so a larger percentage of the coins will be the variety than you would typicaly see on coins of other metals.

Thanks for everyone's insight on this matter. You all have confirmed what I thought. I won't be buying this coin.