• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Offer an opinion on this CN cent.......

8 posts in this topic

What is your opinion as to grade. The luster, color and surfaces are acurately portrayed in the image. Do you consider the coin problem free, and would it slab. I'll offer my opinion later as to no sway your opinion one way or the other.

1863o.jpg1863r.jpg

I see a break in the frost on the cheek. The conservative grade is AU-58. The slab grade might be MS-62. It got a lot the "look" of an MS-63, but it's got the rub, which may have come from envelope storage.

hard to impossible to tell frojm the photo but i will give it a guesstimate anyways and sight seen might be different

The luster

unc. lustre and it is good lustee for a cn cent of this date and this datre usually comes with good to great lustre

color

coin has been dipped not recently but not too badly

Do you consider the coin problem free

YES except for the dipping giving it a slightly unusuall dipped look by being a slight pink hue at different angles

and would it slab.

hard to say

it is all a shot

i think the coin from the photo is ms63+ unless in hand by tiltingthe coin there is slight rub on the high points then i would grade it au-64 as there might be rub so au but the rest of the coin the fields and lustre is 64 hence the grade au64

Here is my thoughts on it. The color, who knows these days. Excellent strike for a CN cent. The luster is above average. The obverse is uncirculated and would likely grade 64. The reverse appears to have some cabinent friction and very slight at that, but it is there none the less. Technically there is a few ever so slight luster breaks on a couple of the highest points on the reverse. It would be interesting to see what the graders would say. The coin is 63 to 64, but the ever so slight friction might send it to an AU58 holder.

1863s are pretty common, and by coincidence, I bought a spectacular near-gem example this last weekend at the MNS show. I grade yours MS-62.

Edited to add: The value doesn't justify certification, in my opinion.