• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent discovery! An 1837 lettered edge half dollar!

10 posts in this topic

1837Bogus50O.jpg1837Bogus50R.jpg

1837Bogus50E.jpg

OK, I’m having fun with you. This is a counterfeit – a very old counterfeit. I guess since only about a thousand 1836 reeded edge half dollars were issued, it’s understandable that the counterfeiter would have gotten the edge wrong on these pieces.

I’ve heard these pieces were made in Prussia (Germany) and were made, appropriately enough with German silver. Ms. Liberty has kind of big nose, and she’s not that much worse in the looks department from the lady who appeared on the Bust half dollars toward the end of the series. Sorry, but I thought that Bust half dollar lady at the end was really frumpy.

It appears that many many peeps thought that that coin was the real deal judging by all of the wear. Looks like a "Large Letters" variety... (:

The schnoz on a couple of the '34's is that big. O-119 is one of them. Cool coin!

Are there any genuine error halves of this sort?

No, that would not have been possible. The edge lettering was added in a separate operation. Without using segmented collar, which was used on the St. Gaudens $20 and the $10 Indian, the very first coin would have been fused to the collar as soon as it was struck. The reeded edge on the 1837 close collar coins (the last lettered edge coins were made in 1836) was imparted on the coin when the obverse and reverse came together, and the straight reeding allowed the coin to be ejected from the press.

Is that normal circulation wear?

I don't know how sharp this piece was it was made, but yes it's got a lot of wear by the looks of it. This one fooled people for quite a while.

Is that normal circulation wear?

It could be hard to say since many contemporary counterfeits were made with only partial details to make them look worn, the idea being that people would believe that it had been around and used for a long time. In some cases areter striking they would also be aretifically aged to look old and worn. I'mseeing heavy "wear" on the eagle, but the lettering especially the edges an serifs seem oddly sharp for a coin with that much "wear".

From the sharpness perspective the coin looks like a VG. From actual wear I'd say it's a VF. I understand the concept that the counterfeiters made coins and paper money for that matter look like it was worn. But this piece has seen a fair amount of circulation IMO.