• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANA World's Fair of Money

23 posts in this topic

I plan to attend this event just for the education and experience. Will be in LA anyway so "why not". Never been to an event like this one.

Is there any advice or suggestion that would make this more enjoyable/educational?

Exhibition of interest? (shrug)

Thanks!

1913 Liberty "V" Nickel are going to be on exhibit and it's the only one missing from my Dansco book. Maybe they will cut me a deal! lol

Man I wish I could go. Sounds like you need to plan a whole day for the exhibits, and then a second day for the bourse. Among the lists of highlights on display: 1849 and 1933 Double eagles, 3 1913 V nickels, a Brasher doubloon or two, $100,000 notes, the first and finest US silver dollar, and the list goes on and on.

Make sure you take copious notes, and write a detailed show report when you get back. Please, for us East coasters. This goes for anyone attending!

I went last year to the World's Fair of Money when it was in Baltimore...

last year the US Mint had a fantastic set-up showing off the Not-Yet-Released $20 Gold High Relief, it was particularly cool because they had several coins side by side showing what the coin looks like after 1 strike, then 2 strikes etc...also there were gold bricks from Fort Knox ( and a lot of security)

I really enjoyed taking the time to go through the "Mints of The World" area..Tables with the Canadian Mint, Royal Mint, Austria, Australia, Belgium, China, Poland Mexico..etc....some fantastic designs from some of these foreign mints ( and also a nice search for me as a thematic coin collector also)

There is usually an area at ANA events like this with personal displays of categorized collections that is nice to peruse also..

My only advice...give yourself plenty of time to enjoy the "event" and don't be solely focused on hunting down a good deal on a hole filler...there's lotsa time for that ( and tons and tons of coins and vendors)....Most of all, enjoy !!

I went last year to the World's Fair of Money when it was in Baltimore...

last year the US Mint had a fantastic set-up showing off the Not-Yet-Released $20 Gold High Relief, it was particularly cool because they had several coins side by side showing what the coin looks like after 1 strike, then 2 strikes etc...also there were gold bricks from Fort Knox ( and a lot of security)

I really enjoyed taking the time to go through the "Mints of The World" area..Tables with the Canadian Mint, Royal Mint, Austria, Australia, Belgium, China, Poland Mexico..etc....some fantastic designs from some of these foreign mints ( and also a nice search for me as a thematic coin collector also)

There is usually an area at ANA events like this with personal displays of categorized collections that is nice to peruse also..

My only advice...give yourself plenty of time to enjoy the "event" and don't be solely focused on hunting down a good deal on a hole filler...there's lotsa time for that ( and tons and tons of coins and vendors)....Most of all, enjoy !!

Great advice! My bet is that the coins there are WAY out of budget for my coin portfolio. But I love to drool...I mean dream about owning a truely "rare" coin.

Thanks for the advice!

The ANA is great for the typical collector or anyone who collect US coins. But though it is one of the elite shows, I have found almost nothing to buy in my specialties on my four prior visits.

Not to be picky, but next year's National Money Show is in Fort Worth. I know they are basically next to each other, but I am not sure the folks in Fort Worth want to be called "Dallas!" (tsk)

Scott

Depending upon what grade and what eye appeal you want, you can possibly find them on Heritage without waiting for the next ANA convention. There is almost no US issue that does not appear there many times per year in their auctions. My random look-ups indicate usually half a dozen, a dozen or even more and this includes many coins that are low mintage or supposedly scrace.

These coins only list 23 each which is low compared to other US coins, with two for the 1883 and four for the 1885 so far in 2009.

I'll be there. Here's a picture of what I look like (although I will be wearing glasses).

EiffelBackdropSmall.jpg

Sorry for the Fort Worth/Dallas blunder.

I just know it is in that area.

thanks for the note about heritage. I will have to follow up on them. I have those 2 coins on my want list with them and should be getting emailed about them but haven't. Maybe the grade I am wanting is not matching what they have.

Who's the gorgeous blonde, Sy? I've always wanted to go to Paris, but haven't been yet.

Thank you. That's my 16 year old. She was 15 in the photo.

Depending upon what grade and what eye appeal you want, you can possibly find them on Heritage without waiting for the next ANA convention. There is almost no US issue that does not appear there many times per year in their auctions. My random look-ups indicate usually half a dozen, a dozen or even more and this includes many coins that are low mintage or supposedly scrace.

These coins only list 23 each which is low compared to other US coins, with two for the 1883 and four for the 1885 so far in 2009.

Teletrade as good as Heritage? Or a different thing all together?

I meant to add on my post, that if you are going, and have a photo of yourself, please post it here so I know who to look for at the show. It's always nice to meet new coin junkie friends.

Sorry for the Fort Worth/Dallas blunder.

I just know it is in that area.

thanks for the note about heritage. I will have to follow up on them. I have those 2 coins on my want list with them and should be getting emailed about them but haven't. Maybe the grade I am wanting is not matching what they have.

I did not check the grades for all of them but the ones I did see were mostly mint state. (I saw one AU-55.) Based upon the limited knowledge I have about US coins with actual or relatively low mintages, my (uneducated) guess is that a much higher than average are higher grade. So if you are looking for a ciculated coin, it might actually be more diifficult than a mint state specimen.

For me,no, but that is probably mainly due to the fact that I do not collect any US coins. For those who do, I would not know which is better as a buyer or a seller, though I have bought from both occasionally.

Heritage is better for me because their selection is much better. When I first resumed collecting in 1998, there were quite a few coins available on Teletrade (relatively speaking) but I believe they have lost out mostly to eBay. Now there is virtually nothing.