• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comments on proposed website

13 posts in this topic

I’d appreciate member’s comments on a website under consideration.

The site would contain PDF copies of research articles I’ve written (published and unpublished), PDF copies of certain U.S. Mint documents such as Assay Commission, Pittman silver dollar production and other documents of interest to collectors.

Everything would be readable on-line at no cost. Downloading an article for personal or coin club use might cost a few dollars for read-only PDFs. There would also be links to numismatic sites that present accurate, quality information on specialties.

Not sure about advertising, but prefer not to have it.

Technically, a broadband connection would be required – some article files (such as Assay Commission) easily top 75 meg. because of the illustrations.

I have had frequent discussions with other collectors and numismatic professionals about a similar website - one that is basically an archive of important numismatic documents. The one thing that would be important, in my opinion, is that documents should be scanned in and OCR software used to make them searchable.

Who in their right mind would say no to this!!!!!!!!!! :o I don't think we'd be able to access U.S. Mint records would we? Do you plan on scanning them to .PDF so folks can access these records? You have my vote for Numismatist of the Year!!!! :)

Comments on proposed website

PS: All article PDFs would be searchable via Acrobat Reader. However, many old documents are handwritten and modern OCR fails miserably, so they would not be searchable unless a huge amount of work were done to transcribe them. (This would be similar to what the Chicago Coin Club shows on their web site of Annual Mint Reports.)

Open to any ideas.

I think this would be awesome. I'm sure there are some here with decent typing skills, including myself, who would be willing to lend a hand in a bit of transcription.

I think this would be awesome. I'm sure there are some here with decent typing skills, including myself, who would be willing to lend a hand in a bit of transcription.

I'm game also. :)

a bit of transcription :o

That's an understatement!

PDF format utilizing Acrobat is the easiest way to proceed and even if your PC (Microsoft) does not host the current format of Acrobat, the host provides safe and easy downloads, shoot, even the United States Army uses Acrobat!

The only problem for the user is saving information, but it can be done. For those technically challenged, an instruction page could be hosted along with the intended information.

I would be just tickled pink to be able to access information just like the big dogs...please proceed and keep us information hounds advised.

FYI: Searchable PDFs will be indexed by Google. As part of the Google search, it will attempt to render the results as an HTML document. You can select the "View as HTML" when you do a Google search.

Scott

A superb idea and one that I will support any way I can. I love history and numismatics so a site with numismatic history would be fascinating reading.

PS: a pay-per-view to read certain PDF files works well also. I often have to search medical archives for research and I can't be a member everywhere so I love when I can download the results of a study for a few bucks without joining....

I don't know if you've thought this far, but I'll volunteer hosting from my HostMonster service (I have supposedly unlimited disk space and bandwidth). I can also give you a subdomain, or you could pay something like $10 or $15 to register a domain and have it point to whatever hosting site.

PS: a pay-per-view to read certain PDF files works well also. I often have to search medical archives for research and I can't be a member everywhere so I love when I can download the results of a study for a few bucks without joining....

Everything would be readable on-line at no cost.

I like the Free-per-view option better. lol

With as much as I love reading about coins, I think this is an awsome idea. (thumbs u

RWB---fantastic!! all I can say. I would also be glad to help transcribe if needed. I feel that many more would also. If enough volunteer it might not seem so far fetched. Great contribution to numismatics!

Jim