• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My new 1936 Proof Walking Liberty half-dollar (IMPROVED clickable macro images)

17 posts in this topic

Here it is, the 1936 proof Walker that I just bought this past weekend from the Scotsman sale. It already resides in my album. You can see the coin description and the Scotsman images if you click here, and I think you'll agree my images, which are very accurate, display a nicer coin than theirs do (though I had the advantage of imaging an unencapsulated coin).

Now, it was only graded PF-64 by PCGS, and we all know that means the surfaces are going to be technically deficient. You'll be able to easily see in the macro image that there are scratches and patchy hairlines in the right obverse field, while the reverse is technically a grade higher. But honestly, for my purposes, I don't mind that. It is not a perfect coin, it has its deficiencies, but I can enjoy the proof completely for what it is.

I trust the images convey the considerable cameo contrast, which is what was important to me. Although it could never be designated as "cameo" by a reputable TPG, I think it has far more frost than usual for the date, and I haven't found one yet even in a higher grade with nicer cameo effect. If one did come along, I'm sure it would be well out of my price range. This one cost me $2700 + 15% = $3,105, and it took me nearly a year to save up enough cash to buy it.

This PF-66 in the same sale was an uglier coin with respect to toning, and had no contrast at all! It also failed to sell against an estimate of $4,700.00 - $5,250.00. And I did have competition on the auction floor for my coin, which I bet was due to other collectors noticing the cameo contrast (described in the auction catalog text) as well. For reference, PF-64 bid/ask is 2900/3100, so I feel I couldn't really lose at my high bid.

So the bottom line on this coin was that I wasn't nearly as concerned about "quality" in the manner that some dealers insist we collectors should be. This coin had certain charm and characteristics that interest me, and since the coin will not be resold by me, it doesn't matter to me "when it comes time to sell" what it would bring on the open market. I am enjoying it immensely right not, and that is priceless.

obverse

k1936_o_0400.jpg

reverse

k1936_r_0400.jpg

Comments, good and bad, are welcome as always. Thanks.

Edited to add: new images

Nice coin James. When I looked at the previous thread, I went straight to the auction and personally thought the coin was PQ because of the considerable cameo contrast. I don't mind the hairlines that much, I mean it is a 64 after all. The frost on the coin brings it up a notch or two for me. I think you might have been able to get the contrast better with the right angle and lighting conditions. Send the sucker to me, taking pictures of proofs, especially cameo proofs, is my speciality (said with my best English accent, which isn't good at all!).

Congrats on the coin James. Had it been a point or two higher with that contrast, I think Mr. King would have jumped all over this coin.

That's a nice coin, James. Congrats. How many more do you have left to acquire for the 1936 year?

Perhaps this would also be a good time to remind the forum what project you are working on?

RYK

That is a thing of beauty. Congratulations on finding a coin that makes your heart race :cool:

Very nice addition James!! I like your collecting philosophy for the set also.

:applause:

NIce James

Next time you might want to tone down your discription of such a nice coin , Then you may be able to pick it up cheaper :-)

Cheers

A phenomenal coin, James, and a shining example of why the grade of a coin is such a minor part of its overall description. It's also noteworthy that coins with cameo (any degree of it), in my experience, are often scrutinized more completely by graders than brilliant coins. I believe that is because it's easier to see minor marks/imperfections in the frosted devices than in brilliant devices, and the frosted devices simply add a unique dimension to the devices that must be considered when grading, to include flat spots, dark spots, and shiny spots. This may or may not apply to your particular coin, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Hoot

Say, are there any 16 or 17 proofs extant...?

Walter Breen claimed that there are four or five 1916 and three 1917 Matte Proof half dollars known. Sometimes his recollections about such are items are faulty although there was supposed to have been 1917 Proof set that was owned by Ira Reed in the 1930s.

Nice one! Personally I'd be nervous cracking it out of the holder because I'd worry about adding a hairline, but I'm sure you will take great care of it. Congratulations on getting a nice example of the toughest date proof Walker!