• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U.S. GOLD COIN RELEASE!

11 posts in this topic

I'm a comic collector so excuse my ignorance and barging in like this (I do have a few coins and about 100 silver dollars etc...)...

Got a thing in the mail today buy U.S. Gold Liberty $5 coins from "United States Rare Coin & Bullion Reserve" with direct (free of dealer mark-up) cost of $124/coin or $620 for 5 or $1240 for 10 coins...limit 10 coin set per household (although it states "special arrangements can be made for gold orders over $50K... :o )

Anyway, would you venerable coinees consider this a good move? Can't fail? And if you saw this coin offered tomorrow what is its present value? Just curious...if I were to buy 10 coins my plan would be to throw them in my coin box and forget about them...

THX in advance!

Tom

That seems about right. Gold closed today at $938, so the bullion value of those coins is roughly $94. Looking at kitco, they are selling the tenth ounce coins for $127.

If you are going to buy ten of them, it would make a lot more sense to buy a full ounce coin, which is selling on kitco for $1023. The premiums are a lot lower for the larger coins.

Well you said you want a 10 gold coins. I would run to the local pawn shop and

get some gold. You can get them for less than 32% markup the company is charging.

If you bought an ounce which would be $938 dollar with you would pay $1,240

Here is a coin that ended on eBay today. Link

Note: The things that ad is selling are 1/10 oz pieces, not gold half-eagles ($5) as issued before 1933. You can get a better deal and see what you’re buying from reputable coin and bullion dealers, not some scum.

These would be the 1/10th ounce $5 gold coins that have a current bullion value of approximately $94 and not the classical $5 gold coins or modern commems that each have approximately $227 bullion value. In my opinion, paying a 30% premium on the bullion is too steep. You can pick up bullion at much closer to spot on ebay or most likely even through a local dealer.

I heartily believe in owning gold bullion, but would not pay that type of premium.

Also, if you buy from these guys, your name will end up on a "sucker" list that will be sold to many, many marketing firms - you'll get so many pitches for other "investments" you won't know what to do!

Also, if you buy from these guys, your name will end up on a "sucker" list that will be sold to many, many marketing firms - you'll get so many pitches for other "investments" you won't know what to do!

More likely, their boiler room operation will call you weekly for the rest of your natural life (and probably thereafter). PASS

More likely, their boiler room operation will call you weekly for the rest of your natural life (and probably thereafter). PASS

Agreed.

French gold roosters are an excellent way of owning gold, one fifth of an ounce at a time, and they can be found at near buillon prices.

:roflmao:

Don't need that...

THX again everyone for the great advice! :headbang:

Got a thing in the mail today buy U.S. Gold Liberty $5 coins

A very good rule of thumb is to never, ever buy coins from television, circulars, mailers, magazine advertisements or full page advertisers in the numismatic publications. They are usually always either problem coins or way above market value.

Check the prices on the same at Broken CC Coins in Carson City, NV. I'm sure that you'll get a much better price with them.

(thumbs u