• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1803 Netherlands Batavian Republic Gold Ducat - Guess The Grade!

5 posts in this topic

Here's a 1803 Netherlands Batavian Republic Gold Ducat that I recently bought to fill a hole in my collection.

(I now have a certified ducat from 1800, 1801, 1802, 1803, 1804 and 1805.)

Guess the grade. Afterwards I will teach you how to grade a Dutch ducat and what to look for whether you want to learn or not...:eek:

1803ducat-1.jpg

1803ducatcomp.jpg

1803ducat-2.jpg

James hit the nail on the head.....

1803ducatNGC.jpg

A few tips when grading Netherlands gold ducats:

The knights hands, one holding the sword and the other holding a bundle of arrows, are the high points of the obverse. If the individual fingers are visible the ducat usually qualifies as Mint State.

Other obverse points to check are the helmet and face, plus the leg and knee armor. This particular coin shines in both these areas and is why it graded AU. Had the fingers been better defined this coin may have graded AU58 or even MS.

The four identical designs at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock on the reverse are subject to a both a weak strike and wear. The ones on this coin are average.

Because these ducats were minted from near pure (.986%) gold they are often found bent or at the least wavy. If you encounter one that is too flat or too round it is most likely a Chinese counterfeit.

PS - I have an 1849 Netherlands ducat that ANACS certified as MS63. This is a very rare date with only 14000 minted. Someday when time permits I'll photograph it and post the photos here for comparison.