• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Normaly I would not consider dipping a coin

23 posts in this topic

This Peace dollar needs some help.

Its a 1927D, I know the details don't show well in these pictures but it has very nice details and has what looks to be full luster showing from under the toning. The color is off in these pictures, it is more of a gun metal grey. This coin is plain ugly but I think it could be made to look nice. Under a loupe it does not look to have any environmental damage or hairlines.

What should I do with this coin?

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

I would put this coin in a wood oven all day, smoke it nice and hot with a touch of flames. Quickly sell it on e-bay for mega profits and move on! No on a serious note this coin surely looks like it could use a dip, but I doubt it would come out looking good :(

I think that it will look worse if you dip it. The toning is really heavy and in order to remove it completely, you will have to remove a lot of metal. You have a dull, white coin when it's done. If it's dipped more lightly, it will be ugly and blotchy.

I think this coin is somewhat of a lost cause. The toning as gone a bit too far.

I agree, if you dip it the coin will come out very dull and lifeless with such heavy toning and would probably remove any remaining luster there is.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! One thing many collectors have no clue about is that a dip does not always work! Once a coin becomes very deeply toned and then dipped the result is often that the coin looks like urine after it is dipped. Look, there is nothing wrong with the coin as it is, so if you don't want it simply sell it.

As Tom said you run the risk of actually making it look worse after the dip. If something is to be done with this coin then let someone like NCS take a look at it . But is it really worth the cost to submit it ??

Was this Peace Dollar removed from a smokers lung?

I've never seen one quite so dark.

Yeah, hype it like it's special onthebay...it will then sell immediatly.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! One thing many collectors have no clue about is that a dip does not always work! Once a coin becomes very deeply toned and then dipped the result is often that the coin looks like urine after it is dipped. Look, there is nothing wrong with the coin as it is, so if you don't want it simply sell it.

That's why I asked first.

I said that the coin looked ugly but I guess I should have said that it was very market unacceptable. To be perfectly honest I kind of like the way it looks. With the luster coming out from behind the toning, it has sort of a cool look to it. This coin has a spot in my Dansco Peace set and is not going anywhere.

I will just call it a "black beauty" lol

That's why I asked first.

I said that the coin looked ugly but I guess I should have said that it was very market unacceptable. To be perfectly honest I kind of like the way it looks. With the luster coming out from behind the toning, it has sort of a cool look to it. This coin has a spot in my Dansco Peace set and is not going anywhere.

I will just call it a "black beauty" lol

You might be able to improve it considerably without dipping it. Dip is always my last resort in a long line of cleaning methods. And, as others have said dip would not make this coin better. A couple quick rinses in solvents might brighten it up a lot.

I agree. Well...I didn't know the first part but I agree with the "there is nothing wrong with the coin as it is" part.

I'd clean it, even if it does strip it

The tone looks pretty even, without lots of that splotchy dark stuff you never wanna see

The worst that can happen is it ends up looking stripped, can't be much worse than it is now. Soon it will be black and then it will only strip more ?

If it comes out pale white, retone it.. ?

I figured I would update this topic with better pictures of the dollar. These are much more what it looks like in hand, though the reverse is not quite as dark as the picture shows. also I couldn't get the detail to show up well but the color is right on.

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

The '27-D is a desirable date. Too bad that this one has the gray toning curse. I have not had much luck with dipping common date Peace dollars that are this deeply toned. I would not chance it. Too bad, normally '27-D's have luster but sometimes bag marks on face.

I would simply clean it with MS70 using only your fingers and lukewarm water. Pat dry, no rubbing! This way you will only remove 'true dirt' but no toning. The stuff is really pretty good. Pretty sure NCS uses something similar to this too. Costs less than $10 plus ship and seems to last forever.