• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does this beauty look? (1802 gold)

30 posts in this topic

I know the pics suck, but I had to use a cam that I was not familiar with to take this pic. This is the first one of these that I have ever seen in person, and I just had to take a pic of it. Maybe one day I will get to own something like this. What would you grade and value this coin at?

PICT1379edit.jpg

PICT1383.jpg

That's my favorite gold also. I would absolutely love to own one of those. To me it looks like a high grade with a great strike. Is that an overdate? It looks like 1801/2. Very nice.

Taking into account that this is picture, with a blurry reverse, which means you can get fooled, it looks like an MS-64 to me.

I don't have anything this nice in early gold. The best I have is an 1813 half eagle in MS-62. And as MS-62's in slabs go (which to me means it's an AU-58+) it's about all one can expect for the grade.

WOW. What an eye-popper. I have to agree that she looks mint state...or very nearly so. I believe it is a 2/1...first I've seen.

A beauty to be sure!!!

RI AL

need to see the coin in hand the the current holdered grade to let you know the value

depending on how it looks in hand and i cant grade the coin from a photo as the coin might be choice unc with ythe high points just toned and not what looks like rub

What's the denomination on this?Is it somewhere in the design?

Nevermind. Looked it up like I should have in the first place. Wow,that's a pricey $2.5 of gold. Wish I had a couple. And that overdate is fantastic.

From the limited view presented, it looks choice uncirculated to me - I'd love to take it off the owner's hands!!

That makes 2 of us!

What's the denomination on this?Is it somewhere in the design?

Nevermind. Looked it up like I should have in the first place. Wow,that's a pricey $2.5 of gold. Wish I had a couple. And that overdate is fantastic.

I'm guessing it's a $5 piece, not a $2.50.

I have a Ferrair and Ford Escape , you can guess the rest :/

I have a red convertible Audi A4 that feels like a Ferrari and a Nissan Xterra with new tires, brakes, battery, shocks, radiator hoses and two new oxygen sensors. Cost me a fortune.

I would rather have a Ferrari...:lol:

Every 5 – 7 or 15,000 miles years my Ferrari needs what is called a major service.

That includes changing the timing belts which is a major endeavor .

Last year I had mine done for the first time since purchasing the car in 2003. When they were doing the service they found a major oil leak that was leaking oil into the distributor cap. The total cost to get my car back serviced and fixed -

$ 9000. $ 7000 for the major service and $ 2000 to fix up the oil leak.

The cost of an older Ferrari is reasonable, but the service costs are expensive.

Other then that I had no issues for the 5 years I had owned the car. Rule of thumb is it will cost you between $ 1500 - $ 2000 a year to keep one of these car in top running condition. So even if you have service issues you will have to deal with the big one eventually.

Side note – I have never used the radio in that car – that sound of that motor especially at high revs is amazing .

Check this out :

Thanks for all of the comments. Here is the pic of the slab for everyone that is interested. Either this coin is way undergraded, or my bad pics are hiding alot. Almost everyone here thought it was MS. It is a $5 coin which you can see from the pic. Are the rattler slabs more collectable since they are no longer made? What do all of the numbers mean on the slab?

PICT1379.jpg

the first number is the pcgs coin number

then the period then the second number 50 is of course the grade

the last number is a pcgs control number kind of like a serial number and these numbers have no rhyme or reason from one coin to the next it is not like they go in any numeria or other sequence

now i am not privy to any proprotary information at pcgs with regards to their numberin g system for their slabs

i think the photos are hiding something as the coin is not ms you can see the rub but from the photos and sight seenmight be different from the photos the coin could grade a higher au grade

say 58??

it does look like great color for an 1802/1 aqnd it does look prooflike

againsight seenmight could?/be different

nice coin by the wayand it is the common date for this series even though no turban head 5 dollar gold is common per se

the holder does not mean anything it is only about the coin usually coins still in these older holders if they are not freah to the market are either correctly graded or overgraded or?? problematic this is why they stay in their older holder

again your coin does APPEAR to be undergraded

Mark, you put $9K into a collectible car worth over $40K. (You have a 328, not a 308, correct?)

I put $4K into a 2002 Xterra worth about $6K. But I had no choice, I have to drive my son to college in Indiana (15 hours each way) at the end of August and I don't want to get stuck coming or going.

Back to numismatics...

IMHO that coin is WAY undergraded. If you are ever in New York I would love to photograph it for free just to see it in person.

I'll even give you a ride in my Audi.

With the top down...:grin:

The coin definitely looks way under graded from this photo, but the trouble is the photo is at an angle. Shooting photos at different angles can give wildly different images. It can hide marks and given the piece a different luster. That’s why experienced grader swirl coins around in the light to catch all of the ways that the light is reflected.

My guess is that the coin is probably under graded by today’s standards. But given the money involved, this is one you need to see in person before you purchase it.

Mark, you put $9K into a collectible car worth over $40K. (You have a 328, not a 308, correct?)

I put $4K into a 2002 Xterra worth about $6K. But I had no choice, I have to drive my son to college in Indiana (15 hours each way) at the end of August and I don't want to get stuck coming or going.

Back to numismatics...

IMHO that coin is WAY undergraded. If you are ever in New York I would love to photograph it for free just to see it in person.

I'll even give you a ride in my Audi.

With the top down...:grin:

Yes it is a 1986 328 with 36,000 miles in mint condition. I have put on 7000 miles in the last 6 years, most of those miles were in the first 3 years. The price guides for these cars are not good indicators as to the value of this car. I have it insured for 50 K even though in this economy I would be lucky to get 45 K for it. Eventually the prices will appreciate again as they become more difficult to find with low miles.

I have always loved the 328, my old boss had a red 348, I talked him into buying it, he had no wife or kids and plenty of money so why not? Life is short.

He used to come to work on Monday and tell me about his automobile adventures with the Ferrari over the weekend. His eyes lit up when he talked about it.

He died suddenly of a brain aneurysm at 55 a few years ago and left the car to his brother in his will. As I said, life is short, make the most of it.

Here are two photos you may appreciate...

gtocrowd.jpg

gto-1.jpg

(Rockefeller Center, NYC)