• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tips for searching coins on eBay

13 posts in this topic

Tips for searching coins on eBay

One of the best ways to search is by the category search but remember that the seller often put there coins in the wrong place. I did a search of 2009-S NGC in the dollar section and there were 2009-S coins in the IKE section and the SBA section. Another thing is that most sellers don’t use the information block above the item description, so narrowing the search on the side will most likely not retrieve all of the coins you wanted to look at. When I do my searches I click the Coins & Paper Money and then US Coins and I don’t go any farther. You can often find deals where the seller put the coin in the wrong category. Remeber that searches are not case sensitive so it doesn't matter if you use upper or lower case letters.

Quotation Marks

Let say you search Silver Eagles, the search will return items that have the exact words Silver and Eagles in the title in any order.

Now let’s say you search “Silver Eagles” with the quotes, the search will return items that have these two words in the title in this specific order.

Asterisk

This is my favorite feature. Let say you want to search NGC MS60-MS66, well if you search NGC MS*, the search will return items that have NGC and MS60 61 62....etc.

This is a faster way to search instead of searching each individual grade.

Parenthesis

This is also another great feature. Let say you want to search both NGC and PCGS, well all you have to do is type (PCGS,NGC) no spaces inside the parenthesis and the search will return coins with PCGS or NGC in the title.

I also use this when you want to search P & D coins but you don’t want S coins. So you could type 2009 (P,D) NGC and it will bring up both P and D coins but no S coins.

Minus Sign

Do you ever search for something and get sick of the replicas or a poor mans version.

Well let’s say you search 1955 Double Die, if you type the search 1955 Double Die –poor –replica. Make sure when you use the minus sign there is a space and type the word with no space. The search will return coins with 1955 Double Die in the title but it will also remove poor and replica coins from the search. If you also put an asterisk on the end of –poor it will remove everything with poor in the word (i.e. poor, poormans, poorman’s…etc). I would also recommend using the –copy to remove those coins as well.

I did a search of 1955 Double Die and got 52 hits, then I did 1955 Double Die –poor* - replica and it came back with 16 hits. I typed just replica into a search and you get 7,414 coins so just using this little trick will remove lots of coins that you don’t have to look through.

No problem guys!! :)

I use the minus sign all of the time.

I use the search -replica* -copy* -fake no sense in looking at stuff I don't care about!!

Very helpful

I once typed in US Coins and I got back over 245,000 listings (peak during 2004/2005) There were 100 listings ending with-in the minute, it was impossible to open them all, much less scroll through the pages.

Schatzy---Quick question---In your example for using the minus sign, should 1955 Double Die be in quotation marks? Otherwise, won't you get every 1955 coin listed? I assume the quotation marks feature can be used with the minus sign feature.

If you type 1955 Double Die, there must be 1955 Double & Die in the title. So no it will not pull up every 1955. It you type "1955 Double Die" it must appear in that order and some people may type 1955 Lincoln Cent Double Die so you would not get these coins.

I did the search on eBay to show you.

Link to just 1955 Double Die

Link to 1955 Double Die with the minus sign.

Another important tip

eBay hides items that don't show shipping to you. So for example if you wanted to buy an Australian coin, from the USA, you should search for it on ebay.com.au , then ask the seller if they will ship to you

I've done this lots of times searching on .com instead of .com.au, found stuff in the states and asked, and had it shipped..