• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Make sure you carry your lucky coin!!

9 posts in this topic

Question: Why is a Game Warden making a traffic stop?

Are they trained to deal with the criminal element that is going to shoot back to try and kill you?

Are they trained to deal with the criminal element that is going to shoot back to try and kill you?

It depends on the jurisdiction and the type of area they cover. For example, the Washington, DC area, the Park Police have jurisdiction over the George Washington Parkway, a major road on the Virginia side of the Potomac that goes from the Beltway in the west into Alexandria, past National Airport. It is the only highway that the Park Police has jurisdiction over.

Scott :hi:

It depends on the jurisdiction and the type of area they cover. For example, the Washington, DC area, the Park Police have jurisdiction over the George Washington Parkway, a major road on the Virginia side of the Potomac that goes from the Beltway in the west into Alexandria, past National Airport. It is the only highway that the Park Police has jurisdiction over.

Scott :hi:

The Park Police also cover the Baltimore-Washington Parkway south of Rt.175.

Well, I know that the Park Rangers that work at the Padre Island National Seashore have dual rolls as police enforcement and as wardens, enforcing Texas game laws. They are the sole enforcement authority at this National Park.

I was thinking a generic Game Warden was only really concerned with violations of game laws and not traffic laws. The majority of stops they make during the hunting season, the guns are seldom drawn and fired at the Wardens. It does happen, we just lost a Warden here in Texas while he was attempting to stop an individual shooting deer at night. The perp shot and killed the warden, but he had already called in the plate number and that’s how they caught the bad guy.

I just think that a Game Warden is upping his chances of something going wrong by stopping every Tom, and Harry that is breaking traffic laws. They need to stick to what they were trained for, issuing a citation for no life preservers, exceeding the limit of fish, undersized fish, shooting a doe in a Buck only season, no plug in the shotgun, taking of animals outside the season, et., etc.

They need to call for assistance from the POLICE if they observe an infraction of the traffic laws, because they never know who they are pulling over. In this case he pulled over an armed felon who decided he was not about to be taken in by a uniformed person.

Just my feelings.

Looks like a nice thick "challenge token" and the article said he also got shot in the wallet.

...they never know who they are pulling over. In this case he pulled over an armed felon who decided he was not about to be taken in by a uniformed person.

Just my feelings.

How is this any different from him coming up to a person who is hunting illeagly and already has a gun out and loaded looking for deer? In the middle of the woods no less.

I am pretty sure that game wardens have more training than police do.

My father was the toughest man I have ever known and he only lasted about 8 years as a policeman. (He went to night school and became a banker. A banker who tackled a bank robber no less, believe it or not.)

Of course my mom gave him the choice of her and the children or his badge. She could be very persuasive...:grin:

I have two friends who are active policemen and the job these days is insanely dangerous, especially in big cities.

Thank a cop, thank a fireman. We need these people...