• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

That's not a wheat penny Janet!

2 posts in this topic

I don't like to tell people exactly what it is I do. I tell them I run a business and leave it at that; not as many people will bug me for sight unseen opinions on grandma's hoard that way. However, some friends who know what I do will bring coins with them and demand an audience.

Such was the case with Janet. Janet's grandmother set aside a few coins for each of her children. And Janet, finding out what I do, decided to bring some of them to me in a little velvet bag--and confront me at the mall. "I dont know what these are but they have to be old; my grandmother got them in Europe 50 years ago, so they're at least that old. I think one is greek."

We went to a private place and I opened the bag. Out poured 4, 1950s wheat pennies (cents) and, well, a Tiberius Caesar Roman Denarius in VF with a great original patina, a problem free flan, and a hint of luster! "I have more at home in a drawer somewhere. If I could get $75 for these, I'd sell them tomorrow! Take them and let me know what they're worth" she said. First, I put the wheat penny's in my pocket and Tiberius back in his velvet bag. Then I told her she'll get a lot more than that for it, though I would have to look it over more closely. I told her the wheat pennys are about 2-3 cents each, "and its really not a good idea for them to be banging around in there with Tiberius."

That was last night. While the manner in which the appraisal was initiated was rather...irregular, it turned out to be quite a surprising and rewarding experience for everyone involved. You simply never know what you'll find, or where, or when...