• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Random foreign coins

11 posts in this topic

Hi there, my first foray into this side of the Society.

I found a small plastic First Aid box literally full of foreign coins, and was wondering if they are worth even putting up on eBay. Coins from Belgium, China, Fiji, The Netherlands, the Bahamas, Panama, Lebanon, Barbados, Finland (as well as a 5 marrka note) some English half pennies and two-pence coins, some Deutsche Marks, Italy, New Zealand, and more. Some are from the 1960's (if that matters) and the entire box weighs almost 3 pounds, to give you an idea of how many there are.

Any, and I mean any, help will be appreciated. I can get pics of a few of these, if it will help.

Thanks for your time.

-slym

I just found some French francs, and a one-pound coin. It's smaller in diameter than a US quarter, but maybe twice as thick. I also found a phone-booth token, maybe Italian? It has a groove on one side with the word "GETTONE" above it, and the word "TELEFONICO" below it, and two parallel grooves on the other side with an engraving of a telephone between them.

Any help is appreciated.

-slym

By "some from the 1960's" I presume that most are more recent dates. But no matter, it will probably primarily depend upon what grade they are. I do not collect those countries but most world coins from that period sell for very little except in grades above mint state or even choice mint state. Those are much scarcer and some of them are in demand. The typical circulated coins not so much or hardly at all.

They definitely are circulated, well circulated.

Maybe worth it to a person who travels??? Or should I just chuck them all in a lake?

-slym

Any old currency from a country that now uses Euros would be useless to traverlers.

Visit your local public library and check their reference collection for a copy of the Standard Catalog of World Coins which will enable you to ID most, if not all, of your true coins although it will not help with the tokens.

Use the values given strictly as a guide to which ones may have substantial values, but don't take the pricing as gospel. Come back here with photos/scans of both sides of the ones the SCWC values at more than $10, and get some relatively accurate value information.

Generally speaking, coins like these are bought and sold all the time as poundage. If you look on eBay you can find large numbers of auctions for 1 to 50 pounds (or more) of foreign coins.

The biggest price determinate is whether or not any coins containing silver are present in the lot.

Generally speaking, coins like these are bought and sold all the time as poundage. If you look on eBay you can find large numbers of auctions for 1 to 50 pounds (or more) of foreign coins.

The biggest price determinate is whether or not any coins containing silver are present in the lot.

Very interesting! I could do that, it's about 3 pounds.

Can I get a quick idea of which coins might have precious metals? Even a link???

:eek:

-slym

Any old currency from a country that now uses Euros would be useless to traverlers.

Visit your local public library and check their reference collection for a copy of the Standard Catalog of World Coins which will enable you to ID most, if not all, of your true coins although it will not help with the tokens.

Use the values given strictly as a guide to which ones may have substantial values, but don't take the pricing as gospel. Come back here with photos/scans of both sides of the ones the SCWC values at more than $10, and get some relatively accurate value information.

Thanks for the info. I doubt these are worth anything to collectors but I will check my library for that book. The only one that might be worth anything is a 1916 One Penny coin, I am not even quite sure where it's from. I guess Britain, and it's in rough shape.

-slym

Well, Don's coin site was... interesting. Not the easiest to learn, but all the info was there.

Looks like my 1-pound coin is worth what the rest of the box is.....

:/

-slym (was only kidding when he said he'd use them in drink machines, folks)