• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How can Draped Bust and Capped Bust dimes be considered the same Type?

6 posts in this topic

I'm seeing an increase in marketing for Dime Type Sets where the Draped Bust and Capped Bust dimes are combined into a single type called "Bust Dime." Of course the dime you get in this set is the Capped Bust dime. They are selling a 5 coin type set as a complete "U.S. Dime Type Set 1796 to Date" and they are just sort of ignoring the Draped Bust dime.

But, the Draped and Capped Bust dimes are not even close. One has flowing hair, the other is wearing a Liberty cap. One faces right while the other faces left. One is designed by Robert Scot, the other by John Reich. Even the reverses are different.

I understand why they are doing this. The Draped Bust is more expensive and hard to get in large quantities making it impossible to market in complete type sets.

So what do people think? Can you lump the two major types together as a single type called the "Bust Dime" and include only the Capped Bust dime as part of a complete type set?

It's marketing. I would not agree that they are the same type, but I am also not the person that this is marketed toward.

Saying that your "not the person that this is marketed toward" makes me believe that you think it is wrong. Because who would it be marketed towards? Obviously the beginner or someone not so knowledgable. So it's a shady practice?

I've got a friend who is marketing sets like this and I'm trying to convince him to change the wording. But his defense is that others are doing it so it must be okay.

Its a cheap marketing trick to make rosey eyed collectors order the set hoping they might get the Draped Bust. It's been going on for many years. It takes very little common sense to see through it, fortunately.

Are the draped bust and capped bust coins two different types? Yes, I think so, but they aren't necessarily so to others. Everyone's definition of the ingredients of a type set differ. Even the almighty Dansco 7070 seems to think that bust coins are bust coins regardless of drapery or caps.

The sad fact is the two Draped Bust dimes (small eagle and heraldic eagle) are beyond the means (or need of commitment) of most collectors to own an example. A casual collector MIGHT find a very low grade or damaged example of the heraldic eagle type, but beyond that it’s tough to do.

For many collectors the five piece dime set satisfies their needs. They are more familiar with the Seated, Barber, Mercury and Roosevelt dimes because it’s easy to find them at small shows, the Internet or local hobby stores. The “old” Bust type kind of covers their need for an “old” dime.

But I agree with the others. It’s marketing, and it’s a rather shabby way to indicate that the buyers of such sets are getting a “complete” type set of dimes, all for a bargain price.