• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thought question - seated 25c

12 posts in this topic

Here is a list of the S mint seated quarters by mintage, lowest to highest:

64-s, 66-s, 71-s, 65-s, 67-s, 60-s, 62-s, 69-s, 59-s, 57-s, 72-s, 61-s, 68-s, 78-s,

73-s, 56-s, 55-s. Rank the top 10 in UNC and CH UNC (64 or higher). I was surprised that the top 10 are fairly well defined. Hint: if you follow the mintages you'll get only about half right. Survival rates are what count. The top 5 are pretty well off by themselves. Technically there is no right answer at the pops are not 100% accurate. But IMO they rank these in a fair relative order.

roadrunner

Didn't realize that I might have been too trivial on this one. Thanks TDN for replying. Maybe it only proves how unappreciated many of these better seated dates are. They all get lumped into dozens of years that all look sort of similar.

I won't be so tough or esoteric next time I post some trivia.

My order:

UNC: 60, 59, 61, 58,......,64, 67, 66, 56......72, 69.

CH UNC: 60, 59, 61, 58,......,64, 67, 56, 66..... 73, 62.

The first 3 dates have no UNC's graded at either service. They are currently the top S's. The 58-s has but one coin. They could all be interchangeable as far as which is the top one though for lack of further data I put them in the order of mintage. They are all in the same era and the 60-s and 59-s are rarities in AU.

The 60-s is tough in all grades, and very tough in VF and above. It would be my dream "S" mint in gem UNC if such a coin exists.

The next tier of dates has 4 pieces also. They could also be interchangeable to some degree but the 64-s is probably the toughest. It's also the toughest in all grades too. I was surprised to see the top 8 coins appear in both lists and I'm confident those are the top 8 "S" mints. What is held raw in collections could skew these numbers. The 72-s is the rarest S mint in all conditions but a decent number of uncs have been graded, possibly multiple submissions too. I was surprised to see that very few 73-s showed up in choice condition. I have to plug the 1867-s as the most unheralded "s" mint in the US Series. I felt that way 20 years ago and nothing since then has changed my mind. Even with a low 48,000 mintage it gets no respect compared to dates like 64-s, 66-s, 71-s and 72-s which are sought in all grades. The 67-s is very underrated once you hit full EF. NGC has graded but one UNC and PCGS 2. The 65-s and 68-s are relatively available even today. I always felt the 55-s was tremendously overrated in circ grades. It has a large mintage for an early s mint at over 300,000. And many arrows quarters were saved. It's no surprise that the 55-S was saved to some degree too.

Then again there is something about the big S mint mark on the reverse.

Of course the top 10 make dates like 1901-s and 1918/7-s look common by comparison. Anyone car to rank the top 10 New Orleans mints......uhhh....never mind.

roadrunner

I haven't read your response yet, and I didn't respond earlier because I couldn't make the time.

Here are my guesses (w/o looking at the pops):

'59, '60, '61, '56, '58, '72, '66, '78, '55, '64.

I'm not familiar enough to begin to break them down by MS to ChMS...

EVP

Hey, stinker!

Say that to my face w/ my big growling vicious dog next to me!

smile.gif

Actually, I *have* to try to answer this question. My Seated ``clique'' would laugh at me if I didn't give this some effort!

EVP

Gee, I was hoping for just a touch of interest. At least EVP and TDN didn't let me down with some response. Even partial credit is better than no guess.

EVP, you did well on getting the first half pretty much right. But I was surprised at the 78-s and 55-s being in there. The 4 most common dates by pops are in reverse order: 65-s, 71-s, 73-s, 55-s. I didn't even consider any dates after 1873 as I figured they are all more common than the earlier dates. The 78-s in particular has always tended to ride on the coattails of the rare 78-s half. But it does fall in with the 73-s. Like the 55-s, I always felt it was very overrated in circ condition. I gotta think the 71-s has a bunch of multiple submissions on one or more 64-65 coins. I just don't think it could be that rare in circ and then saved in UNC with it's smaller mintage.

TDN got them all. I think he was just kiddin when he went "arghhh."

roadrunner

EVP, give a little bit of credit for recognizing whose response was what. If I could take a few minutes to determine how to use some of these forum doo-dads like winky icons I could have made my response more clear. Heck, I tried to post a picture for my base icon and got nowhere. It's still blank. Don't they even offer up

a list of free icons to choose from over here? Maybe in a few months I'll figure out the forum quirks and get more comfortable using them.

roadrunner