• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading advice on Conder Tokens

23 posts in this topic

I would welcome comments as to the grade of these Conder Tokens. I hope my grades are close at least.

Also which are worth certifying and which should be left raw?

The first...

ManchesterPoole-1.jpg

ManchesterPoolecomposite.jpg

ManchesterPoole-2.jpg

I would agree with the grades you have on these. None of them are worth grading. The best of these is probably a $30 to $40 coin (This is assuming the attributions are correct and you don't have a rare edge variety). The Middlesex 471 is list as Rare but not rare enough to make up for the lower grade and raise the value over the $40 level.

Your unidentified Poole Halfpenny is a Dorsetshire 6 (According to D&H Poole is in Dorsetshire. Manchester is in Lancashire county)

Thanks for the useful info Conder, and I agree it doesn't pay to certify common Conder tokens that grade less than a strong AU.

Hampshire 79 An interesting co-operative token used at three different taverns, The George owned by John Courtney, The Ship owned by Edward Frost, and the Brown Bear owned by S Salmon. Many tokens are redeemable at different locations or offices of a business, but I think this is the only one that was actually designed to be used by more than business. The design reflects two of the businesses (St George and the Ship), and the third proprietor (the Salmon). Mintage about 50,000

Hampshire 18 A mule made by Kempson either for sale to collectors or for anonymous circulation. I like the reverse, a strong political statement about the French Revolution. A Map of France France devided (FRA-NCE), the throne overturned, religion divided, glory defaced (it is hard to see but there are lines running through GLORY), Honor trampled underfoot, fire in every corner, and danger (the daggers) on every side.

Norfolk 39 one of a series of tokens issued for John Harvey of Norwich (D&H 38 - 45) Mintage around 15 - 20,000

And a fairly nice Isaac Newton...

newton-2.jpg

newton-1.jpg

I usually keep meticulous records of my coins but this one slipped through the cracks. I have no idea who I bought it from or the price I paid.

Your "worn Hampshire" is a Lincolnshire 6 Mintage about 25,000

Southshields is a Durham 4 mintage 25,750

Newton is a Middlesex 1035 A general circulationn issue, no mintage known.