• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1922 Peace Dollar Rotated Die....

10 posts in this topic

Was preparing some lots of Silver Dollars for sale on eBay, and found an unusual one. Its a 1922 Peace Dollar, with a 180 degree die rotation. I've searched this site, and quite a bit on the internet, but haven't found much info related to this particular coin. Can anyone here tell me something about this coin? How rare is it?

Tkanks!!!

Not a great coin in regards to shape, but the 180 degree rotation will bring out the error buffs. I'm not into that kind of stuff but there are those here that can give more information. Matt, got any info? (brwnprkns) for those of you who don't know that error buff!

The condition is a bit ragged, but that is certainly an interesting error. I should think that would bring some premium.

So, if you flip the coin (holding the heads side correctly) you flip the coin east to west on it's axsis, the reverse is the same as the obverse?

Yes, a complete 180 degree rotation is quite unique.

Collectors such as in Numismatics can obtain and hold a small amount of counterfeit coins as a guide or reference tool

and as long as they do not try to sell the counterfeit coins as genuine, it is perfectly legal to own these.

I own perhaps thirty counterfeit coins, and use them as reference for diagnostics in counterfeit detection. When a counterfeit that I need comes along, I'm always a potential buyer (though I do not happen to need a counterfeit Peace dollar).

All my counterfeits are clearly labeled as such.