• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Irish Advertising Token from William Reardon Cork County

9 posts in this topic

Found in an secret compartment of an antique desk in London with 10 other old coins and tokens, I kid you not.

cork-1.jpg

cork-2.jpg

Advertising token, right? Does anyone know if this is a common piece and/or the approximate date it was issued?

I would like to soak it in 99% isopropyl alcohol to remove the green verdigris but if it's rare I'll leave it alone.

It does look like Victoria could have used a box of Kleenex...

I think I'm going to clean off the remaining green verdigris with isopropyl and a cotton swab. I already took off a huge blob a month ago above her head, and it turned out fairly well. (This from a collector who NEVER cleans coins.)

It's probably not worth much but I like it. (My mother was born in Cork.) I just hope it's worth $10 and not $100.

I love the shilling!

Me too. NGC BB'd it for "environmental damage" but I still love how it looks. It has definite mojo!

I love the shilling!

Me too. NGC BB'd it for "environmental damage" but I still love how it looks. It has definite mojo!

Unfortunately, I would argue that most of these gun money shillings have some sort of corrosion, environmental damage, surface problems, etc. I've been watching them for a couple of years now, and I've only seen a couple that were problem free. Adding to the problem, of course, is that they were somewhat crudely struck in poor conditions. This leads to all sorts of planchet problems and ugly coins. Yours is actually one of the nicer ones I've seen in a while, and I wouldn't hesitate to add that to my collection, were I in the market for one right now.

Some coins were just never meant to be slabbed.

Just as well, as this shilling feels really nice in hand and looks great on my nightstand.

My wife saw it and proclaimed "Oh look, he has a nose like you!"

She will pay...:smile: