• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Altered?

14 posts in this topic

I've looked at it real close and it just don't look right to me. Possibly frosted?? Can't be sure!

Could be.It looks to me like the stars,letters are polished.But Liberty and the eagle are frosted. Also,it looks like a lot of very fine lines on Liberty's cheek? This coin was up a couple of times with pretty high start prices.No takers.Now it .99 with a reserve.

It may be altered , I think the seller juiced up the photo to bring out the look of a DMPL that probably is not really be there. I would not purchase a raw coin graded as DMPL without seeing it in hand or having it screened by someone knowledgeable first.

I've looked at it real close and it just don't look right to me. Possibly frosted?? Can't be sure!

Could be.It looks to me like the stars,letters are polished.But Liberty and the eagle are frosted. Also,it looks like a lot of very fine lines on Liberty's cheek? This coin was up a couple of times with pretty high start prices.No takers.Now it .99 with a reserve.

These are the same exact conclusions that I came to before I read this post. Looks like they forgot to frost arrow heads too.

The whole thing looks weird because the pictures were taken from an odd angle to show the frosting. The coin is not round in the picture. The obverse especially looks like something out of Chinese mint.

A number of years ago a coin doctor or two found a way to frost the devices on silver dollars artificially. These things made the rounds for a while before the scam was exposed. This could be a re-run of that unfortunate process.

There are a few E Bay sellers that have coins like this up for sale.

Here is one of them :

http://myworld.ebay.com/dmpl-services

I doubt that any of this sellers coins would grade DMPL .

It's funny you cite this seller Mark.Earlier tonight I was checking out his Feedback as a buyer and he's buying up lots of lower grade MS PL's or 3rd tier slabbed DMPL"s(NNC,NTC etc.) To me it's obvious he cracks them out and sells as DMPL Gems.How come only 1 person has called this guy out on his crappy coins?Is it because they are embarassed ,and he gives full refund? Scammer!!