• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

American uncirculated fractional buffalo's

5 posts in this topic

So I just heard that the US mint is going to start making gold buffalos again, does this apply to the fractional gold uncircunlated and proof fractional buffalos? Are these ever going to be made again? I picked up one last year, and I enjoy it alot because of its limited availability, last I looked they were selling for high premiums.

I found this on the US mint website:

As a result of the numismatic product portfolio analysis conducted last fall, beginning in 2009, American Buffalo Gold Proof fractional coins and the four-coin set are no longer available. Additionally, the United States Mint will no longer offer American Buffalo Gold Uncirculated Coins.

I assume they mean proof and uncirculated fractional buffalos? And I also assume they mean they will begin to start the 1 oz only buffalo's?

Thanks again

Thats too bad - with unemployment exceeding 10% looks like a lot of USM issues are becoming a market catering to the wealthy. I remember when the only USM product was a proof set and it was what $2.10?

You can still buy Proof sets, but the price is headed through the roof because of all the stupid coins (in my opinion) they are adding to it. Pretty soon the U.S. Proof sets will have more coins in them than they did in 1873.

I'd like to own a set of the Buffalo fractional coins in the original mint box some day, but I doubt that will happen. The vast majority of these coins have been slabbed and have long since been separated from the original mint packaging.

I remember when the only USM product was a proof set and it was what $2.10?

That would be 1950 and you are right about the price.

Pretty soon the U.S. Proof sets will have more coins in them than they did in 1873

I think it already has. There were more proof types back then, but they didn't all come out at the same time so I think the maximum number of coins in the 1873 sets at any one time was 14 coins..