• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$500 screw-up

14 posts in this topic

Seller and Bidders mistook an 1886 for an 1886 S Morgan. I noticed this auction yesterday. It was at $50 or so at the time.I looked closer at the pictures and noticed the mistake right away. I thought about informing the seller,but then I thought,nah, either he'll fix it or some bidder will ask him. I've seen this happen before with NGC labels,but it is usually caught before the end of auction. I did butt in and e-mail the seller tonight.Hope I didn't ruin his day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290330835599

IMHO the problem is twofold. The seller is a scammer and the bidders need not be bidding on things that they don't know how to interpret.

IMHO the problem is twofold. The seller is a scammer and the bidders need not be bidding on things that they don't know how to interpret.

Possible the seller is a scammer,but he had other "honestly" described coins at the same time.And yes,bidders really are the screwups here.

I think the seller mistook the S in S$1 as in the Mint mark for San Francisco and not denoting the coin as S for silver. Course the buyer should never ever take the sellers description as true and exact, hence the pictures to make your own decision.

I take that back, because the description states,

Mint: Philadelphia

I think the seller mistook the S in S$1 as in the Mint mark for San Francisco and not denoting the coin as S for silver. Course the buyer should never ever take the sellers description as true and exact, hence the pictures to make your own decision.

read the description

The cartwheel up for auction is a magnificent 1886 San Francisco certified MS-65 by NGC one of the two highest rated third party grading companies

Is that section filled out automatic by inserting the cert #?

Seller may or may not have scamed but they seem to know that the NGC morgans they have on there right now are CCs and not San Frans.

Well,I had contacted the seller and apparently he still wasn't aware of what happened. Here is his reply through Ebay.

"Dear prudden,

Under mint Philly is designated, but it is still a stupid error "

Guess I did ruin his day.Made someone else's though,you think? Although,I have no way of knowing if he will tell the winner about the mixup.hmmm.

Even though I have owned tons of NGC Morgans, on occasion that 'S' after the date has given me pause. I would think that NGC could label these in a cleaner manner.

Paul

I have no idea why they even put the S on there..all Morgan's were silver...maybe use the S for certain Rosies or Washie proofs where there are both clad and silver..

I believe it is an honest screw-up...maybe one of those late night listings you design after already working 10 hours at your regular job. It will be interesting to see if the seller gives an answer and how it was resolved :popcorn:

I must admit I haven't noticed it before, but I presume they use the "S1$" to distinguish the coin from a "G1$", since there were gold dollars minted in 1886.

I must admit I haven't noticed it before, but I presume they use the "S1$" to distinguish the coin from a "G1$", since there were gold dollars minted in 1886.

Makes sense. I think the problem comes from the date and S$1 being so close together. Like I said,I've seen this mistake several times on Ebay.

I believe they also have T1$ for trade dollars correct?

This is NO MISTAKE! This is a scam, playing eye tricks with the "S$1", making it sound that this $125. coin is a $600. coin! Any collector or dealer who is not that familiar with NGC terminology for the "S" mint on the slab versus "S$1" is not paying attention, certainly should not be a Morgan collector or dealer.

I'll cut him some slack because he claims it is a "stupid error". Hard to believe that a "professional" coin dealer would not know how to read alphanumeric, NGC nomeclature on a Morgan dollar.