• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

REAL guess-the-grade: 1836 bust half-dime, answer posted when I know it!

20 posts in this topic

This is a real "guess-the-grade", because even I don't know the correct answer yet. But I just submitted this coin today. When the grades get back in, I'll post the results. However, I will do so in a single "results" thread, since the title of this thread won't be changeable by the time grades get back. Image is accurate for color and luster. Enjoy!

g183653.jpg

Hey James, since you don't know the grades why don't you participate too?

I plan to! I was going to let others guess first, though, so as not to bias opinions.

Just a quick question.

What is it about this coin that you guys are seeing that keeps this coin out of Gem Unc status? Not one person has guessed MS65 or higher yet to me it looks like it could hit MS65 easy. I don't see even one contact mark?

My guess is: MS-63. It was cracked out of PCI gold MS-64 holder, but what a crime to have a coin this beautiful in such a lousy holder. I paid real money for it, and hope to get MS-63 out of it. A very faint hairline on the cheek may be enough to bar a higher grade.

It was cracked out of PCI gold MS-64 holder, but what a crime to have a coin this beautiful in such a lousy holder.

Perhaps a former owner thought that the surfaces were suspect. I think that the coin was struck with some rust on the obverse die, which gives it a slightly grainy look. I'd grade it at least MS-63 with a shot at 64.

Grade revealed: PCGS graded this coin MS-64. WOW, are there good deals to be found in PCI Gold holders or what?????? This is about as strong as a case as can be made for: BUY THE COIN, NOT THE HOLDER. Thanks for all the guesses!