• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

REAL guess-the-grade: 1921-S Buffalo nickel, answer posted when I know it!

24 posts in this topic

This is a real "guess-the-grade", because even I don't know the correct answer yet. But I just submitted this coin today. When the grades get back in, I'll post the results. However, I will do so in a single "results" thread, since the title of this thread won't be changeable by the time grades get back. Image is accurate for color and luster. Enjoy!

f1921s61.jpg

Hmmm... love the late die state and distorted dies. Its interesting what nickel does to a die - you see this die deterioration doubling far more on nickel than anything else.

I'll grade it 63. I'm guessing the dullness on the reverse is toning, because I don't seem to see any wear on the obverse.

Hi James - As usual, a tough coin to grade. It's likely to come back an AU50 or even slightly better. This date/mint is notorious for a strong, one-sided strike, with a weak side opposed, typically the reverse for the latter (as with this coin). This is an LDS (late die state) piece, to boot.

A rare chance to chime in. Hope all of you are well! :hi:

Hoot

This is a series of coin I do like but have little experience with .

These are very difficult to grade My guess is Au 50. As mentioned this one would qualify for a weak reverse and a stronger observe.

MS-64

I will go with VF-30.

I do believe that is by far the widest spread I've ever seen on a GTG.

Absolutely the widest spread I have ever seen here, makes you appreciate what the professional graders have to deal with.

Put me down for an optimistic AU58, or a pessimistic AU55.

VERY interesting Buffalo, and really illustrates what a hard metal like nickel does to dies.

My guess would be MS-62 for the slab grade. The reverse looks worse than it is because of the poor die and resulting strike. It's one of those coins you have grade by surfaces, and you can really only do that in person, not from a photo.

Hi James - As usual, a tough coin to grade. It's likely to come back an AU50 or even slightly better. This date/mint is notorious for a strong, one-sided strike, with a weak side opposed, typically the reverse for the latter (as with this coin). This is an LDS (late die state) piece, to boot.

A rare chance to chime in. Hope all of you are well! :hi:

Hoot

Howdy Hoot. Hope everything is proceeding as expected. Always great to hear from you Doc. :hi:

My guess is: a very tough coin for me to grade, even in hand! The problem with this coin is that it was completely coated with green slime, aka PVC. I soaked this coin for a long time in acetone, and had to gently wipe off PVC grunge as it got loosened up, but imagine my shock to discover a 1921-S with a flawless planchet and substantial mint luster! I am crossing my fingers for an AU-55, but truly, the coin has UNC luster in hand.

Grade revealed: PCGS graded this coin MS-62. Talk about being surprised - seven points higher than my estimate. My bet is that if properly conserved, the coin could garner a full MS-63 grade. Thanks for all the guesses!

Grade revealed: PCGS graded this coin MS-62. Talk about being surprised - seven points higher than my estimate. My bet is that if properly conserved, the coin could garner a full MS-63 grade. Thanks for all the guesses!

Wow, I'm a bit surprised also, I guessed AU55 to AU58. Someone mentioned that this coin was notorious for a weak strike. I guess that's where the 4 to 7 point discrepancy comes in to play.

Congrats on the 62 :golfclap:

:banana::applause: (thumbs u

1921-S has a double whammy. Strikes are usually poor, but in addition, planchets were usually awful. So you often have a lousy strike on a lousy planchet, which is why they always look overgraded.

I was more thrilled with the quality of this example's planchet than the grade, actually.

Ironically, I plan to crack it back out and put it in my album lol !